You might have never heard of moringa before – and if that’s the case, sit back and prepare to learn exactly why it’s worth knowing about! Native to Africa and Asia, the moringa tree is one of the most nutrient-rich plants in the world.
Moringa powder is made from naturally dried moringa leaves. It has a distinct spinachy green flavour, which makes it ideal for boosting curries, stews, casseroles, soups, salads, green smoothies and more.
Moringa is 25 percent plant protein including all 9 essential amino acids, containing roughly 24 percent of your daily fibre intake. It’s also a rich source of iron, vitamin K and E, vitamin A, and calcium, as well as being high in antioxidants.
As moringa powder is a natural source of a broad range of nutrients, it’s highly bioavailable, so our bodies can absorb the benefits more easily than by taking synthetic supplements.
Stay tuned to learn of the top 13 health and beauty benefits of moringa.
1. Reduction of tiredness and fatigue
At any given time, 1 in 5 people feel unusually tired, and 1 in 10 of us are dealing with chronic or prolonged fatigue. A single serving of moringa powder, at 10 grams or 2 to 3 teaspoons, provides roughly 32.2 percent of your daily iron requirement and 18.9 percent of your daily vitamin A requirement.
Your body needs iron to produce haemoglobin, the protein molecule in red blood cells that carries oxygen to every part of your body, making you feel more alert. Iron is, for that reason, essential for the reduction of tiredness and fatigue in the body.
Similarly, vitamin A supports the metabolism, helping it to ensure a greater uptake of iron. Adding moringa to your daily diet is an effective, natural way to prevent tiredness and fatigue, counteract anaemia, or simply provide a natural iron source for vegans and vegetarians.
2. Promotes healthy skin
Moringa powder is jam-packed with skin-loving vitamins, including vitamin A and vitamin E. Vitamin A is essential for healthy, radiant skin. It helps to speed up healing, prevent breakouts and support the skin's immune system and it promotes natural moisturising - which means it helps to hydrate the skin effectively, giving it a radiant glow. It also assists in promoting and maintaining a healthy dermis and epidermis; the top two layers of your skin.
Vitamin E helps support the immune system, cell function, and skin health. It's an antioxidant, making it effective at combating the effects of free radicals produced by the metabolism of food and toxins in the environment. Vitamin E may be beneficial at reducing UV damage to skin.
Moringa also has one of the highest antioxidant contents of any food. In fact, it’s thought to have 6 times the antioxidants of goji berries, and comparable levels to the antioxidant powerhouse matcha.
Antioxidants are essential for protecting, repairing and preventing cell damage, minimising the ageing process of the skin in the long-term. They help counteract oxidative stress and the effects of free radicals, preventing skin dryness, fine lines, wrinkles and premature ageing.
3. Boosts immunity
One of the best moringa benefits is its super immune-boosting powers. Maintaining a healthy immune system is essential for helping our bodies stave off infections and illnesses. Moringa powder is an extremely rich source of iron and vitamin A.
Studies have found that people with low iron levels are more susceptible to illness and infection, as a lack of iron affects the body's natural defence system. Reversibly, getting enough iron will help to boost your immune system and fight off illness. Vitamin A is known as an anti-inflammation vitamin because of its critical role in enhancing immune function.
4. Aids muscle growth and development
Moringa leaves are almost 25 percent protein, an unusually high content for a plant. Moringa powder contains a whole host of essential amino acids, making it a complete source of protein, supporting the growth and maintenance of muscle mass.
The high protein content of moringa makes it particularly beneficial for vegans and vegetarians who can struggle to get a sufficient protein supply. Our bodies also use protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other important chemicals, so it’s essential that we get the right amount of it to stay in peak health.
Try adding moringa powder into a smoothie for a post or pre workout boost, or simply sprinkle some onto your roasted vegetables for an easy way to increase your protein intake.
5. Anti-stress properties
A recent study confirmed that the leaves of the moringa tree are a powerful, natural adaptogen. Adaptogens are herbs or plants that protect the body from the toxic effects of stress. Used for centuries in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, they help reduce stress and improve attention and endurance, preventing fatigue. Studies indicate that adaptogens not only help the body to cope with stress, but can enhance general health and performance.
Many people enjoy drinking moringa tea to de-stress, as the ritual of drinking the warm beverage is almost as soothing as the moringa itself. Simply add some moringa leaves or powder to boiling water and allow the liquid to steep on a low heat for half an hour. Then strain the liquid, add your favourite sweeteners like honey and cinnamon, and enjoy.
6. Aids healthy digestion
Moringa powder is a rich source of calcium, which contributes to the normal function of digestive enzymes. The nerves in the digestive tract rely on calcium to communicate with each other to regulate digestion, so it’s important that we get enough of it in our daily diets.
Moringa powder also contains roughly 24 percent of fibre, which plays a major role in digestive health. Fibre is the fuel the colon cells use to keep them healthy.
It also helps to keep the digestive tract flowing, by keeping your bowel movements soft and regular. If you know that your diet is fairly low in fibre, adding even a small amount of moringa powder to your breakfast smoothie or cereal should help matters considerably.
7. Helps you stay energised
Moringa powder is a rich source of iron and calcium. Both of these ingredients play a role in creating energy from nutrients, which is why it’s essential in the diet of an active person.
Not only that, but being a great protein source, moringa powder can provide your body with the fuel it needs for a workout, a training session, or simply a day on your feet at work. A green smoothie with moringa in the morning will keep you feeling nice and energised all day.
8. Helps maintain optimal vision
Having healthy eyes and normal vision is something that can often be taken for granted, but requires the right nutrition on order to maintain. Moringa is a source of vitamin A, which plays a crucial role in vision by maintaining a clear cornea, the outside covering of your eye.
This vitamin is also a component of rhodopsin, a protein in your eyes that allows you to see in low light conditions. For this reason, getting enough vitamin A can prevent age-related eye conditions like macular degeneration.
9. Anti-diabetic properties
It has been typically used in traditional medicines for diabetes, and recent scientific studies have confirmed that moringa is in fact a successful way to treat the condition, and is proven to decrease blood glucose level.
Additionally, further research has found that people eating a diet rich in plant proteins can reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes. One study found that replacing just 5 grams of meat-based protein consumption a day with a plant-based source could reduce risk of type 2 diabetes onset by as much as 18 percent.
As moringa contains 25 percent of plant protein, it is one of the best and highest plant protein foods available today.
10. Helps maintain healthy bones
Maintaining strong and healthy bones is an important component of overall health. Moringa leaves are a rich source of vitamin K, protein, and calcium, all of which support normal bones.
Vitamin K is an essential nutrient that works with calcium to build strong bones. 2 People who have higher blood levels of vitamin K have higher bone density, while at the opposite end of the spectrum people with low blood levels of vitamin K are more likely to have osteoporosis.
Protein provides the structural matrix of bone, while increasing intestinal calcium absorption for optimum bone health.
11. Potential anti-cancer properties
Many studies have been carried out to specifically look into moringa's potential as an anti-cancer agent. Moringa leaves have been shown to have beneficial properties in the fight against both breast and colon cancer cells, though studies have not yet been carried out on humans, so evidence is still considered inconclusive.
Research is ongoing, and the findings so far certainly seem promising, so it will be very interesting to see how moringa may be used to fight cancer in the future.
12. Promotes weight loss
Moringa leaves are considered beneficial for people trying to lose weight. Different studies conducted on animals show that moringa can decrease fat formation in the body and improve fat breakdown. Moringa leaves also contain anti-inflammatory properties, which is beneficial when weight loss is your ultimate goal.
Additionally, moringa powder is a source of high fibre, which helps promote weight loss, because it fills you up while also being low in calories. When you eat more high-fibre foods, you have less room in your diet for foods that aren’t as nutrient-dense, like refined carbohydrates.
13. Encourages healthy hair growth
Moringa is one of the top vegetarian sources of iron. Iron deficiency has been linked with hair loss for years, now, making iron a logical ingredient for healthy hair growth.
Moringa is also packed with amino acids, the building blocks of cells. There are a handful that are particularly important in hair growth—arginine, cystine, cysteine, lysine, methionine—all of which are abundant in moringa.
Additionally, moringa is a great plant-based source of omega 3 fatty acids, which help thicken hair strands by plumping them up with healthy fats.
Moringa powder is becoming increasingly available around the world as people discover its numerous health benefits - however, not all moringa is made equal. Be wary of buying moringa powder online from a source that looks illegitimate. If you can, purchase your moringa from your local health store, or read up extensively on reviews before buying a moringa product online.
Moringa powder has a green, earthy taste - similar to spinach or matcha green tea. It’s delicious mixed into food or drinks for a nutrient boost. If the taste isn’t for you, you can find moringa supplement capsules that you can simply swallow with water.
What’s for sure, while moringa might not be so popular right now, it’s set to become the next superfood trend. It’s likely that this humble powder will end up selling out on our supermarket shelves soon, so stock up while you can!
- PREMIUM ORGANIC MORINGA POWDER (Moringa Olifera) - Our Organic Moringa Leaf Powder is 1.10 lbs packed in a resealable kraft bag to maintain freshness!
- GLUTEN-FREE, HEALTHY CAN BE DELICIOUS TOO - Moringa leaf powder is made from moringa tree leaves, one of nature’s most nutritious foods, and is loaded with vitamins, minerals and essential antioxidants. Simply mix our Organic Moringa Powder into your smoothie for an easy boost!. All of our products are batch-tested and verified to be Gluten Free
- STEAM STERILIZE FOR PURITY - It will lose its pure green color and the product will appear brownish green.
- USDA ORGANIC - All of our products are Certified Organic by the USDA and are Non GMO Project Verified
- India Grown, USDA Organic Moringa Leaf Powder, 2 Pounds (32 Ounce), Filler Free, Premium Moringa Supplement and Moringa Tea Powder, No GMOs, India Origin, Vegan Friendly.
- Rich in Minerals (Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium and Zinc Vitamin), Immune Vitamins (Vitamin C), Fibers, Amino acids, Proteins and Polyphenols.
- No GMOs, No Irradiation, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Irradiation and No Gluten
- Scoop included to get the measurement every time. Take it daily with or between meals by adding it to a shake or smoothie, see what the most nutrient dense food on the planet is all about.
- NATURAL AND RAW: Incept moringa oleifera powder is made of 100% natural moringa leaves, sourced directly from moringa plants in India. It is VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE and NON GMO. The fine powder has no stems, no sandy texture, being the cleanest green powder in the market
- ENRICH YOUR DIET: The powder has a bright green color and has an earthy smell. The green juice powder reduces stress and fatigue, promotes healthy skin and improves immunity
- A MUST-ADD INTO RECIPES: 1 pack of moringa powder has 112 servings and can be used in a variety of recipes. The moringa superfood powder can be used in dips and hummus, soups and hot chocolate, sauces, yoghurt bowls, protein shakes & much more
- HIGH NUTRITION : Moringa oleifera leaf powder has proven to decrease blood glucose level. The tea powder is full of antioxidants, calcium, iron, fiber, vitamins & plant protein. The supergreens powder does not have artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners and preservatives
- Moringa powder 1lb (16 ounces)
- Moringa oleifera is a fairly large tree native to North India. It goes by a variety of names, such as drumstick tree, horseradish tree or ben oil tree.
- Mix into smoothies and yogurt. Steep in hot water for tea.
- Naturevibe Botanicals Moringa Powder comes in a resealable pouch.