The almond is often considered the king of nuts. It’s full of healthy fats, fibre, phytochemicals, vitamins, and minerals that make it a nutritional powerhouse. It’s no surprise, then, that the oil derived from this nut, known as almond oil, is extremely popular for its immense benefits for the hair, body, and skin too.
So why exactly is almond oil so useful for us? We’ll cover everything you need to know in this video.
What is almond oil?
Almonds are the oldest and most widely grown of all the world's nut crops. They were first produced in the Middle East, and very soon, people discovered that the oil extracted from its seeds was extremely beneficial.
You might hear of refined versus unrefined almond oil. Essentially, the oil obtained by pressing the nuts is unrefined almond oil, otherwise called sweet almond oil.
This oil retains most of the nutrients from almonds, as well as the original flavour of the oil. Refined almond oil, on the other hand, is produced by heating and chemically treating unrefined almond oil. This oil is more resistant to heat but contains fewer nutrients.
If you want your hair, skin, and body to reap the most benefits of almond oil, you should opt for sweet cold-pressed almond oil.
Some of the most notable benefits of almond oil include:
1. Helps skin to retain moisture
Almond oil is excellent for the skin thanks to its emollient properties, which help the skin to retain more moisture. These emollient properties of the oil also help to improve skin complexion.
If you have dry and flaky skin, almond oil can completely take care of your skin’s hydrating and nourishing needs.
2. Acts as a natural moisturizer
Almond oil absorbs into the skin quite quickly, which makes it a powerful and effective moisturizer. You can apply it to your face as well as your body. Some people like to add essential oils and use almond oil as the carrier oil for massaging their bodies.
Another great property of almond oil is that it’s light and not too greasy, so your skin won’t feel sticky when you use the oil as a moisturizer. It offers effective skin hydration that doesn’t feel too heavy.
You don’t even need to worry about whether almond oil will suit your skin. If you’ve picked 100% organic cold-pressed sweet almond oil, you can use it irrespective of your skin type, be it sensitive, dry or oily. Just make sure not to use the oil if you have a nut allergy.
3. Can improve patches of dryness on skin
Most of us have those particularly dry spots of skin, like our elbows and feet. These parts of the body can be nourished with almond oil to help smooth and soften the skin. If you find yourself scratching your flaky skin, almond oil can help with that as well.
Applying it regularly will prevent it from becoming dry and flaky as a result of external factors like the weather. Likewise, if your lips are dry and chapped, sweet almond oil can help to lock in moisture, helping to soften your lips and give them a healthier appearance.
It’s the fatty acids in sweet almond oil that help the skin to retain moisture, while the oil’s vitamin E content soothes irritation caused by dryness. Almond oil also contains zinc, which helps smoothen rough, calloused skin. This makes almond oil an effective remedy for treating dry skin conditions, including eczema and psoriasis.
4. Can be used as a facial cleanser
For most of us, the idea of cleansing the face with oil is a little bit horrifying. But research has found that oil cleansing is beneficial for your skin, and sweet almond oil is one of the best oils to use for the job.
Oil cleansing works on the concept ‘like dissolves like’, as in, adding oil to your face can actually lift the excess oils that are already there. Oil cleansing can also help you get rid of stubborn impurities and dead skin and opens up your clogged pores. It’s recommended that you use a mild face cleanser after oil cleansing to get rid of any oil residue from the skin.
5. Can lighten scars and marks
Experts think that the zinc present in almond oil is an essential nutrient for healing acne scars. It also contains vitamin E, which is known for its skin healing properties and is often used cosmetically in commercial products for scars and burn healing.
A study revealed that almond oil is an effective treatment of stretch marks and acne scars, so if you’re dealing with persistent marks yourself, it may be time for an almond oil massage. Many pregnant women swear by using sweet almond oil to massage themselves to prevent stretch marks and to get rid of skin irritation.
6. Can reduce puffiness and under-eye circles
Almond oil has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which make it ideal for reducing puffiness under the eyes and lightening dark circles. Almond oil also contains retinol, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K, which soothe the skin under the eyes and reduce the appearance of fine lines and crows’ feet.
7. Can reduce the appearance of acne
Using the same ‘like dissolves like’ theory, almond oil is also backed by scientific studies for treating acne by dissolving excess sebum from your skin. You can use it as a cleanser for your skin to prevent acne caused by the build-up of oils.
Another reason to use almond oil for acne is that it’s rich in retinoids. Retinoids are a class of compounds derived from vitamin A and are a popular ingredient in anti-acne topical creams. It’s thanks to their unique ability to unclog pores of dirt and excess sebum that retinoids are so popular in treating acne naturally.
To use almond oil for treating acne, just soak a cotton ball in the oil and use it to gently dab around your face. Follow up with a natural cleanser to remove any oil residue.
8. Can soothe flaking and itching of the scalp
The most common hair health problem is the build-up of dead cells in the scalp. This build-up not only results in flaking, itching, and dandruff but also inhibits the growth of healthy hair. Luckily, there’s a simple solution for dry hair, and it’s almond oil.
Almond oil is extremely hydrating and nourishing. When you massage your scalp with almond oil, the dead cells loosen their grip from the scalp and can be easily washed out. This also helps in preventing and treating dry scalp conditions, like seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis.
Try this out for yourself by using almond oil as a weekly scalp treatment. Just massage almond oil into your scalp and let it sit for at least an hour before taking a warm bath. You can also leave it overnight for maximum results.
9. Promotes hair growth
One of the essential nutrients associated with hair growth is biotin, also known as Vitamin H. Biotin is a derivative of Vitamin B that’s prescribed to people who suffer from hair thinning and balding issues.
Biotin can be found in almond oil, and massaging your scalp with almond oil is an effective way to provide your hair with a healthy dose of Biotin to promote hair growth and reduce thinning. Some people take Biotin supplements to make their hair thicker, but you can get similar benefits by applying almond oil to your hair as well – plus you get to enjoy the almond oil scent and the soothing massage process.
10. Softens and conditions hair
Many of us with long hair know the endless struggle of brushing the knots free on a daily basis. Regular massage with almond oil is the best way to soften your hair, reducing the likelihood of knots and tangles and making it easier to comb.
Thanks to its emollient properties, almond oil can fill the gaps in your hair at the cellular level, working to improve overall texture. With this improved texture and resilience, hair becomes less prone to damage and softer to the touch.
11. Strengthens and repairs hair
The lubricating properties of almond oil can make hair less prone to damage. The oleic acid and linoleic acid present in the oil can also improve the resilience of the hair, and almond oil’s Vitamin E content is a potent antioxidant, which can help in combating environmental stressors that may weaken the hair.
For younger-looking, healthier hair, many people massage their hair regularly with sweet almond oil.
12. Can be used for body massage
For thousands of years, almond oil has been used to soothe, soften, and repair the skin. Its special warming qualities make it ideal for a special type of Ayurvedic massage, especially for people with dry skin.
Whenever you feel like your body needs some relaxation and your skin needs a healthy dose of hydration, you can practice Ayurvedic body massage with almond oil.
How to use almond oil
For the face:
If you plan to use almond oil on your face, the easiest way to do this is by applying the oil to a cotton bud, then gently dabbing it onto your skin. Leave it for 5 minutes to allow it to soak in, then follow up with your usual cleanser and pat your face dry.
For the hair:
For the hair, simply pour a little bit of almond oil onto your fingers and massage straight into the scalp. It’s wise to leave the oil in your hair for up to 1 hour, but you may want to wash it out before leaving your house, as unsurprisingly, it can leave hair looking a little oily!
For the body:
To use almond oil for an all-body massage, start by warming half a cup of sweet almond oil – the heat helps your skin to absorb the oil best. Apply to your palms and massage in slow circles along your arms, legs, and back.
Then move towards the abdomen, using circular motions in a counterclockwise direction. Move onto the areas that can commonly become tight or painful due to a build-up of stress, including the shoulders, lower back, and chest. While you’re doing this, try to focus on your breath and breathe deeply through your nose.
Leave the oil on your skin for around 5 to 10 minutes. You can even put the oil on before going to bed, which allows it to be absorbed into your skin overnight.
Almond oil is something of beauty essential that many of us are only now beginning to appreciate. Using almond oil can have a range of beauty benefits on your skin and hair, and can even promote relaxation and improve mood.
Just make sure to buy organic, cold-pressed, sweet almond oil for the best effects. It also goes without saying that you shouldn’t use almond oil if you are allergic to nuts.
Below are some of the best almond oil products for beauty uses – check them out!
- 100 PERCENT PURE AND NON-GMO: A natural oil that’s perfect for nourishing and reviving any skin type
- PROMOTES HEALTHY-LOOKING SKIN: Almond oil is easily absorbed and won’t clog pores, promoting clear, soft, healthy-looking skin
- EASILY ABSORBED AND WON'T CLOG PORES: This skin-nourishing oil is ideal for the entire body and is derived from pressed almonds. Health Concern-Anti-Stress Support, Sleep Support, Mood Support Sleep Support
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation)
- ✅ FRESHLY PRESSED here in California - Our Cold Pressed Sweet Almond Oil has only 1 ingredient: Pure Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil. No GMOs, no added ingredients, no Hexane, just natural goodness.
- ✅ ECO-SIZED BOTTLE - Unlike other 16oz Oils, our Sweet Almond Oil is stored in BIG 32oz bottles. This means you save money and we use less plastic. SMALL changes make a BIG difference for your wallet AND the environment!
- ✅ THE PERFECT CARRIER OIL - Our therapeutic grade Sweet Almond Oil is a top rated carrier oil for pure essential oils. Perfect for a relaxing massage or soothing aromatherapy. Combine with almond essential oil for an amazing natural body oil for dry skin.
- ✅ STRONGER, HEALTHIER HAIR - Sweet Almond Oil is well known for nourishing and strengthening hair. Massage into your scalp and leave overnight, or apply our sweet to your beard in the morning, and watch it work wonders for your hair.
- 100% Pure: Our Sweet Almond carrier oil is 100% pure and never diluted. This provides the best possible quality.
- All Natural: Our Sweet Almond oil is all natural, never adulterated and top quality. Our Sweet Almond Oil is great for massage, skin and hair care or as a carrier for essential oils.
- SATISFACTION / QUALITY GUARANTEED: Nature’s Oil supplies bulk oils to some of the nation’s largest brands and we stand behind every bottle we sell.
- ✔️ Naturally Derived Skin Softener and Massage Oil – Pressed from Non-GMO sweet almonds, pure almond oil for skin is a nourishing body oil with skin-loving fatty acids to lock-in moisture. Use it as a body moisturizer or face oil, adding a few drops to your creams for a burst of plant-based nourishment.
- ✔️ Ultra-Hydrating Hair Moisturizer – Almond oil moisturizes without leaving hair looking or feeling greasy, making it the perfect oil for hair treatments. Not only does this moisturizing oil leave your hair feeling silky soft, but its hydrating benefits are good for your scalp, too.
- ✔️ Perfect Carrier Oil For Essential Oils Mixing – Pure almond oil makes the perfect carrier oil for essential oils. Use it to make a nourishing body oil for dry skin, DIY body massage oil, or as a more natural makeup remover oil. It works as a great facial oil for gua sha tools, too.
- ✔️ Fast-Absorbing & Non-Greasy Skin Oil – Whether you use almond oil for face or body, pure Sweet Almond Oil is clean, light, and won’t clog pores. Our almond body oil glides on easily, leaving skin smooth and glowing, never greasy.