Grinding your teeth is a condition often put down to stress or an anxiety disorder. You’ll usually realise when you’re doing it, even if you can’t put a stop to the habit. If you’re grinding your teeth at night, on the other hand, you might not even realise you’re doing it, as you’ll be unconscious at the time.
So, what exactly is the cause of sleep bruxism? It’s thought that a combination of anxiety and stress, as well as alcohol consumption and smoking, are the main factors behind the development of the condition. If you snore or have sleep apnoea, you’re also at a greater risk of developing sleep bruxism.
It’s important to treat sleep bruxism as it can cause damage to your teeth and even lead to jaw joint disorders. If you have sleep bruxism, you might also experience headaches, jaw pain, and ear pain, which over time can severely impact the quality of life.
In many cases, sleep bruxism is easily diagnosed by a dentist. If you visit the same dentist regularly, they will be able to detect any changes to your teeth and mouth and ask you questions to determine the underlying cause. Your dentist might also ask about your sleeping habits, such as the times you go to bed and how long you usually sleep for, which can both play a minor part in night-time teeth grinding.
Your teeth usually indicate whether you’ve been grinding them in your sleep or not. If you notice that your teeth appear flattened or worn, or you have chipped or cracked teeth that you can’t explain, you most likely have sleep bruxism.
Preventing Sleep Bruxism
There are many things you can do to prevent sleep bruxism going forward. Not all techniques will work for you, but you should find that a combination of a few help you to cut down on the habit. Some of the best ways to prevent sleep bruxism include:
Treating a sleep disorder
If a sleeping disorder, like sleep apnoea, is causing you to grind your teeth at night, treating it may reduce or eliminate the grinding habit.
Cutting down on caffeine
Experts think that night-time caffeine consumption is linked to teeth clenching during sleep. It makes sense — the caffeine elevates your energy and heart rate, and poor sleep and teeth grinding can occur as a result. To prevent this, try switching to decaf or water after 3 pm, and avoid or cut back on foods and drinks that contain caffeine, such as colas, chocolate, and coffee.
Grinding your teeth can get worse after drinking alcohol or caffeine, so if you already have a history of grinding your teeth in your sleep, try skipping your glass of wine before bed or your caffeinated cocktail to help reduce grinding.
Don’t chew – unless it’s food!
Try to get rid of any bad habits, like chewing on pencils or pens – or anything, in fact, that isn’t food. In the same way, you should avoid chewing gum as it makes your jaw muscles get used to clenching, making you more likely to grind your teeth while you’re asleep.
No matter what other methods you put in place, you should always combine them with your own self-to-self training on not clenching or grinding your teeth. If you notice that you clench or grind during the day, you’re much more likely to do it at night, too.
The best way to prevent yourself from grinding your teeth is to position the tip of your tongue between your teeth. This practice trains your jaw muscles to relax, so you’re less likely to clench or grind your teeth overnight.
If you’re still struggling with sleep bruxism, you can relax your jaw muscles at night by holding a warm washcloth against your cheek in front of your earlobe.
Practice stress reduction techniques
For some people, teeth grinding can be linked to mental health issues like stress, depression, and anxiety. If you grind your teeth, stress-reduction techniques may help in some cases.
Methods like meditation, mindfulness, and yoga can help to reduce your heart rate and encourage your body to release “happy” hormones like endorphins. Stress reduction can also benefit your overall health, so it’s a win-win all around.
Consider a custom-made mouthguard
If you can’t stop grinding your teeth, and you don’t think you’ll be able to curb the habit yourself, it might be worth considering a custom-made mouthguard. These fit specifically to the shape of your jaw, can help protect your teeth from damage, and might also reduce the strain on your jaw.
Custom-made mouthguards are more expensive than the other options mentioned in this video but maybe a better choice for some people.
It’s possible to stop grinding your teeth without medical intervention. If you follow these tips mentioned in this video, you should see an improvement in your grinding habit after a few weeks to a month. Don’t hesitate to visit your doctor if you’re still experiencing issues beyond this time.
If you feel you need extra help check these bestsellers below
- Disposable: Includes 10 dental guards with up to 30 uses
- Grind No More: Featuring patented clench and grind absorbing bite plates to stop you from grinding your teeth during the night and to increase peaceful sleep
- Comfort: Plackers dental night guard provides the ultimate comfort for your teeth during sleep with a one size fits all design for upper or lower teeth
- Ready To Wear: Plackers grind no more night guards are individually packaged and ready to wear as soon as you receive them with no boiling, cutting or molding required
- Premium Mouth Guard Material: This mouthguard is made of premium food-grade ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) material ensures safe and reliable use, latex-free and phthalates-free; Long-lasting and wear-resistant for comprehensive oral care, friendly environment for easy cleaning and multiple re-uses.
- Perfect Moldable Custom Fit: This Mouth Guard for Grinding Teeth includes 4 mouth guards; 2 different sizes of supreme quality and design. Whether you are a kid, youth, or adult if you clench or grind your teeth and want to protect them, our bite guards are right for you. a mouthguard is made of a moldable material, Confidential dental guards custom fits to accommodate moust mouth size.
- Comfortable To Use: This Mouth Guard for Clenching Teeth at Night Constructed of a moldable material, Confidential dental guards custom fits to accommodate any mouth size. Includes easy-to-follow instructions with a step-by-step video on how to use the product.
- Protect Your Teeth Day And Night: This Night Guards for Teeth Grinding protects your sleep and provides comprehensive protection while ensuring the best comfort. You don't need to spend a lot of time at the dentist to get a high-quality mouthguard.
- Safe and environmentally friendly material：Our Mouth Guard Protectors is made of high-quality material, safe to use and environmentally friendly, mouth guard for clenching teeth at nightto easy to clean and reuse, long-lasting wear.
- Professional custom design: Our teeth grinding mouth guard for sleep are designed by a team of professionals and manufactured in two different sizes. Whether you're an adult or a teenager, they fit perfectly in different mouth sizes. There's basically no cutting required, so choose a different night guards for teeth grinding size as needed.
- Easy to use shaping: Our Sleep Mouth Guard is very easy to use, just follow the steps carefully and the Our night guard will help you. You will have a comfortable sleep.
- Multi-Purpose Mouth Guard: The mouth guard for clenching teeth at night stops teeth grinding, the multi-purpose Mouth Guard for Grinding Teeth can also be used as a teeth tray and as a sports guard to prevent sports-related tooth impact.
- SAFE AND HIGH QUALITY: The Visismile Mouth Guard is made of safety approved and food grade material for safe and reliable use, BPA, latex and phthalates free, long-lasting and wear-resistant for comprehensive oral care, friendly environment For easy cleaning and reuse.
- COMFORTABLE FOR DAILY USE: This Professional Dental Night Guard designed to be flexible, easily molded and remolded to accommodate the shape of your teeth for a custom and comfortable fit. Includes easy-to-follow and detailed instructions on how to make your special confidential dental guards.
- PERFECT FIT FOR YOU: The moldable mouthguards come in 2 different sizes of premium design. Made of moldable material, confidential dental guards custom fits to accommodate any mouth size. Suitable for everyone including kids, youth, adults, if you clench or grind your teeth and want to protect them, our tooth protectors are perfect for you.
- 4-IN-1 DENTAL GUARD：The Anti Grinding mouthguards designed for multipurpose, can be used for mid-to-moderate teeth grinding, teeth whitening tray, athletic dental guard and aggressive teeth grinding, provides comprehensive protection while ensuring the best comfort for you.