The main reason why most of us exercise is to either slim down or shape up — so it can be quite alarming to end a tough workout with legs that are larger and more swollen then when you started. Swelling is normally always caused by micro-trauma to your muscles that takes place during exercise, and is nothing to be concerned about. However, in some cases, swelling can be a sign of a serious condition that needs medical attention.
In this video, we’re covering the most common causes of leg swelling after exercise – and we’ll finish with a few tips about how to prevent it.
So, let’s get into those common causes of leg swelling:
1. Micro-Trauma and Swelling
When you exercise, your muscles go through quite a bit of stress. The fibres tear and stretch.
This isn’t a sign that you’re doing it wrong – it’s actually normal, and is what makes exercise valuable. Your body responds to this trauma by repairing and becoming stronger and more resilient.
The initial stress increases blood flow to affected areas, as they rush to repair the stress. This is when you may experience some swelling.
2. Swelling From Injury
Any sort of leg injury, no matter how serious, will most likely cause some leg swelling. Whether you’ve twisted your ankle, torn a muscle, or worse, broken a bone, you’ll experience some inflammatory swelling.
If you have an injury, you will definitely know about it. But if you need another sign that your swelling is caused by injury, check one leg against the other. Obviously, the swollen leg will be the injured one, while the other leg will be normal in thickness.
3. Disease and Swelling
Fluid retention in your legs can make them look swollen and larger than usual. It’s important not to shrug off fluid retention, as it can be a symptom of underlying heart, kidney, liver or endocrine disease.
Complications in your body makes it more difficult for fluid to get to where it needs to be via the lymphatic or circulatory system. Exercise can aggravate the pooling of fluids, making swelling even more obvious right after you work out.
4. Swelling and Veins
In rarer cases, swelling in your legs is caused by failing valves in your veins. Normally, the valves in your leg veins work one way to move blood up toward your heart. When these valves stop working properly, the blood gets backed up, causing swelling.
Exercise causes this swelling to become exaggerated because blood is flowing more rapidly at a higher volume.
Pregnancy can be another cause of fluid retention in your legs post-exercise. This is completely normal, and you won’t usually have to do anything to “cure” the issue, aside from finding ways to alleviate the discomfort.
Exercising while pregnant is healthy, but if you’re concerned, talk to your doctor about how often and the type that's best for you.
Even if you aren't pregnant, hormonal changes that occur with your cycle can make you retain water. If you're a woman and the swelling occurs at the same time each month, it’s most likely due to PMS.
The hormonal ups and downs that occur with menopause can also cause leg swelling that's most obvious after exercise.
Stopping leg swelling
Reducing and eliminating leg swelling after exercise is normally very easy. Some of the best ways to get your legs back to their normal size are as follows:
- Apply a cold or ice compress to the area for 20 minutes if the swelling is only in one area, such as if you’ve sustained an injury.
- Elevate your feet on pillows. Getting your feet above heart level passively drains excess fluid from your legs.
- Limit your daily salt intake. Excess sodium in your diet can contribute to your leg swelling problem. Aim for less than 1,500 milligrams per day.
- Remove any tight or restrictive clothing, like bicycle shorts. Restrictive clothing can work like an elastic band on your skin, preventing fluids from returning to your heart during exercise.
- Wear support stockings on both feet and legs if you own them. You can buy these from most retail pharmacy stores. Support stockings apply gentle compression to your lower extremities, and while they don’t look very cool, they’re very good at what they do.
- Try mixing up your exercise routine. Exercises that have you seated or standing for an extended period of time may contribute to your swelling.
- Try the “Legs Up the Wall” yoga pose. Lie on your back with your feet propped up against a wall. Stay in the position for 5 to 10 minutes to reverse the flow of blood and alleviate the swelling.
If you’re fed up with leg swelling after exercises, this video should help you to figure out the cause and eliminate swelling as quickly as possible. Don't allow your condition to worsen if these home remedies aren't working, though, and talk to your doctor if the swelling is getting more severe.
There are also certain oils, creams, and support that can help leg swelling, so check out the best ones below
- FEET & CALVES MASSAGE-this leg and foot air massager is used to massage your feet and calves, 2x2 air bags inside, press the foot and calf muscle from lower to upper to relieve fatigue and improve the circulation.
- 2 MODES & 3 MASSAGE INTENSITIES-you can easily control this massager by the handheld controller, 2 massage modes and 3 Intensities selectable, powered by DC12V/1A adapter (UL Plug), detailed user manual in 5 language.
- 10 MASSAGE TECHNIQUES-There are 2 different massage modes with more massage techniques provide better massage experience than before. No matter young people works in office, or parents or grandparents stay at home, this air massager can safely and easily relieve their fatigue for daily use and improve circulation after long-term use.
- LARGER & ADJUSTABLE SIZE WITH SIZE EXTENSIONS-the leg and foot wraps can be adjusted easily to change the size and intensity, max calves size can be 28.5 inches with 2 size extensions included for different people to use.
- REST YOUR LEGS — Relieve swelling, reduce edema, attain spine & coccyx alignment, improve blood circulation, and support your ligaments & muscles while you sleep with EBUNG leg elevation pillow — AT HOME LEG THERAPY with our elevating leg rest pillow!
- ERGONOMIC LEG PILLOW — Designed for the ultimate comfort, our leg elevation wedge outlines along the natural curves of your lower legs, takes the excess pressure off your legs, hips & knees, and provides a comfortable resting place for your legs while you sleep!
- PREMIUM QUALITY — Made with the best quality high-density foam, our leg wedge pillow is sturdy enough to retain its shape, embraces your natural contours, and is sure to last through many years of use — BEST foot elevation pillow!
- SMART DESIGN — Measuring 24” x 21” x 8”, our leg rest pillow is just the right size to prop on your bed, has a WASHABLE COVER that is hypoallergenic & allows you to easily maintain desired hygiene, gentle on your skin, dust-proof, breathable, and doesn’t get as heated up.
- Full coverage of body parts after injury required ultra-comfortable wearable protective gear, flexible gel pack of three, full-wrapped legs, arms, etc., wrapped tightness can be adjusted according to their needs, a comprehensive package of support injured area, but also can expand the tile where the body needs, more use of methods can be used according to the situation .The gel ice pack effectively relieves for Meniscus, Post-traumatic Arthritis and Shin Splints.
- Hot and cold dual-use, we are equipped with three liquid gel ice packs, cold when you can put an ice pack into the refrigerator 20 minutes ahead of time, heat can put an ice pack into the hot water immersion, it can also be heated in a microwave oven for 30 seconds the fire, microwave oven be sure to pay attention to safe use.
- You simply think he is an ice pack? No, at the same time or sports goggles, do not use ice packs installed, you can wrap it tightly your muscle movement, supporting a full range of musculoskeletal movement, muscle movement to avoid injury, the effect is better than poor compression sleeve, easy to use, tightness It can be adjusted to find the right intensity of your parcel is the best protective gear.
- Product fabric elastic fabric, wrapped in the use of leg and arm will be very soft and comfortable, the use of ice packs accessories fashion, and ice is a regular shape, increase the availability of ice at the same time increase the flexibility of the product.
- IDEAL LEG REST PILLOW - Attain optimal spinal & coccyx alignment and improve your body posture while resting or sleeping in a way that allows for maximum relaxation and relief - lay your legs against our elevated leg rest pillow and relieve excess pressure off your legs, hip & knees.
- COMFORT REDEFINED - Generous cushion of our best leg rest pillow eliminates leg cramps experienced when you wake up, adds ease to your video gaming or TV time; ensures comfort for mothers while feeding newborns, and helps get relief from restless leg syndrome, varicose veins & phlebitis. You can also use this foot pillow as a bolster pillow to elevate a mattress or pillow.
- IMPROVED OVERALL HEALTH - This hypoallergic foam bed wedge pillow is a great leg pillows for sleeping. Triangle pillow wedge provides a gentle inclination that improves blood circulation by elevating feet above heart level, reduces back pain & leg pain, and puts insomnia to rest.
- PREMIUM MATERIAL - Made with a high-density premium foam material, the orthopedic leg pillow offers contouring support to your legs, and does not collapse under your body weight. Our firm and breathable elevating leg rest pillow stays cool and it measures 24 x 21 x 8 inches.