Dandelion is a weed that’s commonly known for its distinguishable yellow flower, growing mostly in grassy areas. You’ve probably tasted dandelion flowers in drinks and picked them as a child, but most of us are unaware of the wondrous medicinal potential this plant has to offer.
If you haven’t ever considered using dandelion for its health benefits, it’s time to change that. We’ve gathered 18 reasons why—let’s get into it!
1. High antioxidant content
Dandelions are rich in antioxidants, which are essential for protecting our cells from damage that’s caused by free radicals. Antioxidants bind to free radicals and prevent them from binding to our body’s cells, where they could increase the risk of cancer, accelerated aging, dementia, and other inflammatory diseases.
2. Help with blood sugar regulation
Recently, studies have provided reliable evidence to suggest that dandelions can be a powerful tool in regulating the body’s blood sugar level. Their strong anti-inflammatory (discussed later) and antioxidative properties make them helpful in naturally remedying high or low blood sugar, without requiring medication or external intensive care.
The safety of natural remedies always has an edge over prescription drugs, as medication can have different side effects on different individuals.
3. Great for skincare
Here’s a fun fact: the largest organ in our body is skin. It’s important to treat it well and look after it at all times. Dandelions have got us covered in that department too, offering a natural alternative to costly skincare medications and treatments.
With their detoxifying properties, dandelions can rid the skin of harmful toxins that cause acne and clog pores. They can speed up the skin’s natural healing processes, and keep it nourished, clear, and healthy. As a cherry on top, they even provide anti-aging benefits.
4. Boosts immune system functionality
Everybody hates having their entire lives slowed down by flu or a common cold. Your immune system is your greatest weapon against these diseases, and also against the life-threatening COVID-19 pandemic.
Dandelions have been shown to have immune system strengthening properties that help us fight off airborne viruses and diseases. Their antiviral and antimicrobial properties can help the body in combatting infections. Studies have even demonstrated that dandelions can hinder viruses in their replication processes inside a carrier—and that’s a quality we need more than ever right now!
5. Aids digestion
Digestion-related issues can be super frustrating and unpleasant to deal with. One of the oldest uses of dandelion has been to soothe digestive issues and to improve appetite. Some reports also suggest that dandelion is an effective cure for constipation, but we’ll get into that in detail in reason #11.
One study conducted on animals found dandelions can make digestion making easier and quicker by preventing the resistance of food as they go into the small intestines.
The immunity-boosting properties of dandelions discussed above go way beyond fighting off seasonal viruses. According to some studies, dandelion root extract has the potential to remedy lung, prostate, and other types of cancer even better than chemotherapy.
Dandelion’s effect on cancer cells can be very quick and effective, killing them within hours of coming to contact. However, scientists still recommend more research to be done in this area to reliably prove the benefits of dandelion as a viable form of cancer treatment, though all signs point towards a promising future.
7. Blood pressure regulation
Not only do dandelions help with maintaining blood sugar levels, but they also help in regulating your blood pressure. This is because, just like bananas, they’re a good source of potassium, and high potassium content has been known to be valuable in blood pressure regulation.
Potassium relaxes the blood vessel walls, which lowers blood pressure and prevents cramping. According to studies, low potassium intake translates to high blood pressure. If you’ve never been a huge banana fan, try adding dandelions to your diet.
8. Helps with weight loss
If you’ve been trying to lose weight for a while unsuccessfully, you’re probably blaming it on the food you eat. Sometimes though, what you’re not eating could also be the problem. Dandelion has been found to help in weight loss in many ways.
Firstly, dandelion can decrease water weight by making urination more frequent. Dandelion’s weight loss properties have also been proven in one study on a chemical level, through its capacity to affect an enzyme known for digestion of dietary fat.
9. Anti-inflammatory properties
The body naturally responds to illness through inflammation, which often leads to discomfort, pain, and swelling. Dandelion has been shown to naturally have anti-inflammatory and bioactive compounds. These compounds organically reduce inflammation without requiring any prescription medication.
10. Reduces the risk of infection
Historically, dandelion has been used for treating many different infections—from UTIs to tonsilitis and kidney problems. Dandelion is thought to help in reducing swelling and preventing the formation of infections in the first place.
According to one study conducted on women, participants who took a combination of leaf extract and dandelion root showed to be less likely to contract UTIs, when compared to those who didn’t.
11. A cure for constipation
From time to time, everybody has to go through constipation without any good reason. The best way to treat it though is through natural remedies. Drinking dandelion tea has been shown to accomplish just that—without the risk of any harmful side effects, as it’s all-natural.
As dandelion is a diuretic, it helps to add more water to your digestive system, which facilitates bowel movement. Dandelion can also stimulate the liver to produce bile, which indirectly helps with constipation.
12. Treats upset stomach
If you ever have an upset stomach, or experience a sudden loss of appetite, dandelion’s your best friend. The herb allows your digestion to take place as it’s supposed to, preventing toxins from re-entering your bloodstream and causing painful and uncomfortable symptoms.
Regular dandelion consumption can help get your stomach back on track in no time at all.
13. Fights eczema
Eczema affects nearly 30% of the entire human population, and it’s a painful condition to experience. Finding a viable treatment for the condition isn’t easy, but dandelion works well against it in some cases. The best part is that it’s an all-natural remedy, therefore there’s no risk of a bad skin reaction that may worsen the condition. You can take it as a supplement, or apply it to the skin externally, or both!
14. Reduces intestinal gas
As humans, we’re unfortunately accelerating towards bad eating habits day by day. Eating too many unnatural foods inevitably leads to unpleasantness, and no one wants to experience that for long periods of time. Instead of using prescription drugs to deal with intestinal gas, you should probably try out dandelion first, the next time it happens to you.
According to studies, the herb can reduce the painful bloating systems by dissipating gas out of the intestines. As mentioned above, dandelion promotes bile production, which encourages the body’s natural process of digestion.
15. They have anti-diabetic properties
We’ve already looked at the power of dandelions in the blood sugar regulation department, but that’s not it. They go one step further and even prevent diabetes. Dandelion has a soluble dietary fibre called inulin, which blesses the herb with its anti-diabetic properties.
Inulin has complex carbs supporting healthy bacterial growth inside the body’s gastrointestinal tract, increasing insulin sensitivity in the blood.
16. Liver cleansing properties
Not many of us understand and appreciate the role of the liver in our bodies. Even a slightly disturbed liver can result in all sorts of symptoms, including fatigue, diarrhea, nausea, skin problems, and even loss of sight.
Dandelion is effective in cleansing the affected area of a damaged liver, letting it slowly recover, heal, and regenerate.
- FUNCTIONING FLORALS: Potent Dandelion Flower with nutrients to support normal Liver Function*
- POTENT EXTRACT: Horbaach's Alcohol Free Liquid Extract is super concentrated for maximum support
- DANDELION DETOX: Beneficial ingredient to support Healthy Detoxification and Digestive Health*
- HORBAACH MANUFACTURERS: Laboratory Tested, Trusted Ingredients, Superior Quality, 100% Guaranteed!
- Liquid herbal extract to support the body's cleansing and detoxification process*
- Easily absorbed alcohol-free liquid engages taste and smell to help body recognize & use herbs ingested. Not hidden in a capsule from the pre-digestive senses
- Prepared from certified organic fresh root, leaf and flower of Taraxacum officinale plants grown on Herb Pharm’s own southern Oregon farms
- Alcohol-free, vegan, non-GMO, & gluten-free. Herb identity assured via HPTLC fingerprinting and other methods specific to each herb
- General Wellness Support *
- With Extract at 5:1 potency, one capsule provides the equivalence of 2,250 mg of Fresh Dandelion Root Powder. Serving size is 1 veggie capsule. Max Supply (200 Veggie Capsules & a 200 Day Supply. Vegetarian/ Vegan, Non-GMO, & Gluten-free
- Our formulations are crafted with high quality, clean and non-GMO ingredients and care for the customers' wellness.
- Manufactured in the USA: assembled in a cGMP registered facility with the highest standards.
- ✅ Cleanse Your System - Flush out harmful substances with our dandelion extract. Dandelion(Taraxacum Officinale) is a diuretic that may help eliminate excess fluids. Dandelion supplements also help protect the liver and support its function.
- ✅ GUT SUPPORT - Organic dandelion root supports digestion, as it may help move food more smoothly along the gastrointestinal tract. Dandelion root tincture also promotes weight management and may help shed unwanted pounds.
- ✅ Help Your Heart - Cardiovascular function is something our dandelion supplement drops address, too. Dandelion leaf extract has potassium and fiber that may lower blood pressure l levels.
- ✅ Keep Your Guard Up - Don’t let your defenses bog down! Our dandelion drops are rich in antioxidants like beta carotene that may help protect against cell damage and boost your body’s immunity.
17. Gall bladder protection
Another historical use of dandelion includes the treatment of the gallbladder organ. If you have gallbladder problems, gallstones, or kidney issues, dandelion may be helpful in naturally healing the organ, reducing pain, and improving its functioning, according to some studies. Studies have even shown dandelion to be effective in organically removing gallstones.
18. Prevention of UVB skin damage
We all know how dangerous UV rays are. They can cause everything from premature accelerated aging to skin cancer. However, we can of course take measures to protect our skin from these UV rays, and those measures go far beyond putting on some sunscreen.
According to a 2015 study, dandelion leaf extract has skin-protective effects that prevent free radical-induced aging effects, and save skin cells from dying. Dandelion’s applicability for sun protection hasn’t yet been established, but the herb shows decent promise.
Much of the increase in average life expectancy has been fuelled by the medications invented in recent years, but we’re now coming to see how natural alternatives like dandelion could work much better for us, as they come without any risk of unexpected side effects.
If you’re looking for simpler ways to secure several health benefits without risking side effects, dandelion is definitely an herb to try.