A TV is one of the main features of the living room, but many of us often forget all about it when we’re carrying out our weekly cleaning chores. Over time, a TV can accumulate dust, pollutants, and other particles from the air, as well as those oh-so-mysterious fingerprints that seem to appear overnight. Luckily, a simple cleaning routine can keep your TV screen sparkling and shiny long into the future.
It’s important to be careful with the cleaning products that you put near your TV screen because many of the newer screens are coated with a special formula for anti-glare purposes that can become damaged by certain chemicals. Cleaners like Windex, which you might automatically go to use, contains ammonia and alcohol, which can actually be too strong for TV screens.
If you have an older TV screen, you’ll be more open to different cleaning options, because your screen is most likely made of glass. Always check your TV’s user guide to be certain, but you’ll more than likely find that general glass-cleaning products are fine to use on your screen. Newer, LCD screens, however, are far more sensitive. They need to be cleaned gently to avoid getting scratched – you’ll even need to be careful with the type of cloth you choose.We’ve broken down the best methods of cleaning a TV screen based on the type and model you have. Here’s what you need to know.
For LG Screens…
You should clean an LG screen with a dry cloth only, never damp. Always unplug the TV’s power cord before cleaning, and use your softest cloth to prevent scratching the surface.
It’s important not to spray water or any other cleaning fluid onto the TV screen, as it could create static electricity, which might give you a nasty shock.
For Panasonic Screens…
Panasonic is a brand that generally treats its flat-screen TV screens with a special anti-glare formula. This means you need to be particularly careful with the cleaning products you use on it.
If you’re doing a quick clean, wiping the surface of the screen with a soft cleaning cloth should be enough. To remove fingerprints and other grime, first, remove the dust, then soak a clean cloth in a warm water dish soap mix and wring the cloth to remove the majority of the liquid. Then gently dab the surface of the screen before wiping clean with a dry cloth.
For Toshiba Screens…
Like LG, Toshiba screens should only be cleaned with a dry cloth. Clean by gently wiping the TV screen with a soft cloth to remove any dust. If you need to clean a visible stain, you’ll only be able to do so by repeatedly wiping the same area. Spraying water, abrasive cleaners, or cleaners containing alcohol on the screen might do more damage than good.
For Sony Screens…
The majority of stains can be removed from a Sony screen using a clean, dry cloth. It’s fine to moisten a cloth with water and dish soap for cleaning stubborn stains, but make sure you wring the cloth out beforehand and don’t overdo it with the dish soap.
You can also use chemical cloths, but be sure to read the instructions for cleaning before you get started. Likewise, don’t spray water directly onto the TV screen, as it might get into the actual TV set and cause damage.
- Your screen’s new friend! - EVEO is proud to present a screen cleaner that’s perfectly suited for your TV, laptop, iPad, Macbook, or any electronic device. Our Screen Cleaner, along with the included plush microfiber cloth, is safe, efficient, and lasting. Enjoy bright screens with EVEO today!
- Say goodbye to dirt and static electricity - Unlike other TV and computer screen cleaners, our screen cleaning kit effectively removes dust, stains and fingerprints from the screen’s surface.
- Safe for any screen - Product tested as safe on all the major brands: iPad, iPhone, Android screens, Kindle, PC monitors - you’re covered! Making our screen cleaner suitable even for the most gentle types of LCD, LED, CRT, and OLED screens.
- Premium super soft plush microfiber cloth - Our included plush microfiber cloth is designed for a screen cleaning experience. It’s streak-free, absorbs stubborn stains, leaves zero decolorization, and no fiber shedding. Always use together with our screen cleaner for good results.
- Includes 2oz spray bottle, 1-Purple 15.75"x 15.75" and 1-Purple 6”x7” Microfiber Premium Cloth, A Great Gift idea
- Works on Delicate Screens – No alcohol, ammonia, or phosphates
- Streak Free - ScreenMom gives your screen a like new appearance again that you will love
- Gently Cleans - HDTVs, Flatscreens, PC monitors, Tablet, Laptops, Glasses, Phone Cleaner, Sunglasses, and Cell Phones
- Safe - Anti-static formula safely cleans valuable electronic equipment
- Quick Dry - Dries quickly while leaving a clean, clear surface
- Cleaner - Removes dust, dirt, smudges and fingerprints
- Recommended for smart phones, tablets, TVs (LED, LCD, plasma), monitors, laptops, computers, keyboards, audio equipment and speakers
- LARGE WIPES: Individual screen wipes are perfect for TV screens, desktops & displays less than 32". Made of aerospace-approved pre-moistened fabric with a 75% purified water formula, the soft display screen cleaner wipes away residue.
- MULTI SCREEN CLEANER: Touch screen cleaner wipes are perfect for home, office, technology, aviation & more to protect your display screen from residue. Screen cleaning formula leaves screens spotless without streaks.
- ONE SWIPE: These screen cleaning cloth wipes use one swipe in order to clear glasses, phones, laptops, computers & TV screens of fingerprints, & other residue. The cloth has a low moisture level for smaller surfaces & streak-free shine.
- SPECIALIZED: Since 2001 we've specialized in products for sensitive screens. From eyewear to airline entertainment screens, our American made iCloth is designed to be tough yet soft to clean glass surfaces for aviation, schools, military, & hospitals.
For Samsung Screens…
The outside of a Samsung TV screen is particularly susceptible to scratching, so you’ll need to be really careful with your choice of cleaning cloth for this one. Your TV might have been shipped with an included soft cleaning cloth, or your user manual might have advised on which cloths to use when you bought the TV.
Always use the recommended cleaning materials and don’t spray water directly onto the screen. The most effective way to clean a Samsung TV screen is with a cloth dampened by a small amount of water.
Keep in mind that every TV is different, and there’s no universal cleaning method that works for all TV screens. It’s important that you read your user manual carefully before cleaning your TV screen to ensure you don’t damage it during the process. Many TV manufacturers have strict return policies, and it’s unlikely that you’ll be offered a replacement TV if you subject your screen to water or chemical damage, especially if you’ve done something the user manual advised against.
TVs are expensive and far more delicate than they may appear. If you’re unsure of how to clean your TV screen, don’t risk anything more than using a soft, anti-static micro-fibre cloth to do some gentle dusting.
Wipe your screen in circular motions, making sure not to press too hard. You should also wipe down any vents to prevent them from getting clogged up with dust. In all cases, you should unplug your TV from electricity before cleaning to safely work on your TV. Contact your manufacturer if you need more information.