White blood cells are primarily needed for fighting infection. They’re found all over the body in the blood, and look out for invaders that could cause illness.
We all have a unique number of white blood cells in our bodies, but the normal range is usually between 4,000 and 11,000 per microliter of blood. If you have a white blood cell count of less than 4,000 per microliter, this may mean that your body isn’t able to fight off infection the way it should.
Your doctor may be able to help you increase your white blood cell count by treating a medical issue that’s causing low levels in your body. While receiving treatment, you can also take steps to increase your levels through eating the right immune-boosting foods.
Even if you don’t have a low white blood cell count, if you want a stronger immune system, make sure to add more of the following foods to your diet:
1. Citrus fruits
Did your mum ever make you drink a glass of orange juice when you were ill? This is because vitamin C can help build up your immune system. Experts think that the vitamin can stimulate both the production and function of white blood cells, giving it a key role in fighting infections.
Oranges, lemons and limes are all citrus fruits with high vitamin C content. You can also benefit from vitamin C in pure orange and lemon juice. Our bodies don’t produce vitamin C themselves, so we need a daily dose of the stuff to stay immune-healthy.
Not all yogurts are created the same, so if you want to give your immune system a boost, look particularly for yogurts that contain live and active cultures. This dietary source of probiotics will help keep your immune system in shape. Many yogurts are also fortified with vitamin D, which is thought to boost our body’s natural defences against diseases.
Greek yogurts are usually good for immune support. Look for plain yogurts, rather than yogurts that have been flavoured with sugars and sweeteners. You can always add a sprinkle of cinnamon, a squirt of honey or a fresh fruit topping to add a little sweetness.
If citrus fruits aren’t your thing, spinach is another food that’s packed with vitamin C. Not only is spinach great for boosting white blood cell production, it’s also packed full of antioxidants and beta-carotene, which is thought to help our immune systems fight off infections more effectively.
Lightly cooking spinach enhances its vitamin A and allows other nutrients to be released from oxalic acid, but be careful not to leave it on the heat for too long, or it’ll lose its nutrients. Add spinach to your salads, cheese tarts, pasta bakes and pizzas for a healthy kick.
Ginger biscuits are another age-old mum favourite for illness, and this is because ginger has been found to decrease inflammation, which can in turn help reduce a sore throat and other inflammatory illnesses. There are also studies that have found ginger effective in decreasing nausea, especially in people who suffer from travel sickness.
Ginger is best taken in its raw, unprocessed form. Try chopping a thumb-sized piece of ginger and adding it to boiling water to make ginger tea. You can also purchase ginger supplements from your local health store, or add ground ginger to your sweet and savoury recipes.
Garlic is one of the most powerful infection-fighting foods in the world, and has been used to ward off illnesses for hundreds of years. It’s thought that garlic’s immune-boosting properties come from its sulphur-containing compounds, like allicin, which help white blood cells to more effectively fight off germs.
Like ginger, you’re best taking garlic in its unprocessed form. You can fry or roast garlic cloves and add them to savoury dishes like stir fries, pizzas, curries, stews, pasta bakes, and naan breads. As a quicker option, you can also take garlic supplements or add garlic powder to your foods.
6. Red bell peppers
We all think of citrus fruits as being the best source of vitamin C, but this isn’t actually true. One ounce of red bell peppers contains twice as much vitamin C as one ounce of citrus. They’re also a good source of beta carotene, another effective infection-fighter.
Red bell peppers are incredibly versatile, and can be eaten raw, fried, roasted or baked in a variety of dishes. They make a great stir fry addition, and also taste delicious in rice and couscous dishes.
Almonds contain vitamin E, which experts think is key to a healthy immune system. Not only is vitamin E a potent antioxidant, it also helps the immune system fight infections and widens blood vessels, which prevents the formation of clots.
Many foods contain vitamin E, including some cereals, nuts and leafy greens, but almonds are a particularly good source of the vitamin. One serving of almonds alone is thought to provide nearly 100 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E. Eat them raw or toasted as a satisfying, healthy snack.
Increasing your white blood cell count will help you stay healthier and illness-free throughout the year. Make sure to include more of these immune-boosting foods in your diet, especially during the colder winter months, when viruses and infection spread more easily.
- 💚 Blood Platelet and Immunity Support- Papaya leaves (paw paw) may naturally boost production of blood platelets and help build elasticity and strength in the walls of the veins and arteries. Papaya leaf contains the enzyme Fibrin which is great for blood platelet support. Compared to Papaya enzymes chewables our blood support formula is complete phytonutrients that work synergistically - not synthetically made chemical papain enzymes. Our blood support super fruit papaya enzymes is 100% pure
- 💚 Blood Cleanse, Metabolism & Digestion - The blood stream is life itself. Keeping it as clean and pure as possible so nutrients are efficiently delivered to the body, and waste products are picked up and taken for elimination is crucial. Papaya Powder contains the papain enzymes, amylase and lipase for digestion, which is known to improve digesting by breaking down proteins. Blood Support Formula capsules is pure and organic, and commonly recommended as a natural support for digestive issues.
- 💚 Health Bone Marrow - Papaya leaf extract blood support formula is specially formulated with unique herbs that are cleansers and astringents to aid in regulating cell function. Super Fruit Papaya Blood Support Extract keeps the bone marrow healthy and protects it against the oxidative stress caused by lead and other biological factors. The bone marrow is where new blood platelets are manufactured. When your bone marrow is healthy, your blood and circulatory system will be happy.
- 💚 Healthy Spleen & Bone Marrow Function - Papaya leaf extract blood support formula is a herbal blood re-builder that contains herbs that detox the blood stream and provide oxygen to the circulatory system function while regulating spleen function. The spleen destroys blood platelets and if not regulated and healthy, it results in either low blood platelets or high blood platelets, compared to the normal range.
- NEW BOTTLE SAME GREAT PRODUCT - Due to a recent market shortage of glass bottles will be temporaily packaging AHCC Kinoko Gold in Plastic Bottles. We appreciate your understanding!
- SUPPORTS IMMUNE HEALTH, LONGEVITY & NK CELL ACTIVITY: Kinoko Gold AHCC capsules have shown to support immune health, enhance cytokine production, promote macrophage activity, T-cell and NK cell activity and longevity. Our Kinoko AHCC capsules are easy to swallow, convenient and tasteless. Each AHCC 500mg capsules gives you powerful long lasting immune support.
- SUPERIOR AHCC QUALITY: Quality of Life’s AHCC is the most potent mushroom extract available. Our AHCC has been researched by Yale, Harvard and used by thousands of people worldwide. Unlike other AHCC Supplements, AHCC powder, mushroom supplements, mushroom extracts and active hexose correlated compounds, Quality of Life’s AHCC’s complex is clinically studied.
- THE WORLD’S LEADING IMMUNE HEALTH SUPPLEMENT: Quality of Life’s AHCC (Active Hexose Correlated Compound) supplement is a proprietary blend of mushrooms designed to significantly improve immune response, maintain optimal T-cell and natural killer cell activity and is used by over 1,000 clinics worldwide.
- Pureresponse Exclusive: Coriolus extract is a part of the PureResponse Exclusive.
- Cellular Function: Hot water mushroom extract to promote white blood cell number and function.*
- Unique Formula: Unique hot water extraction process to concentrate the soluble beta-glucan fraction.*
- Pure Quality: Our supplements are made with only premium ingredients sourced from trusted suppliers and guided by our nutritional experts, then carefully manufactured and tested to verify their potency and purity.
- Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-free & Gelatin-free: Each bottle of Goli contains 60 delicious, vegan, non-gmo, gluten-free & gelatin-free Apple Cider Vinegar gummies, which makes them suitable for almost any lifestyle.
- Made in the USA with locally and globally sourced ingredients. Goli Gummies are made in allergen-free, cGMP certified facilities in the United States with local and globally sourced ingredients to ensure that our products are reputable and of the highest quality standards.
- Patented Formula, Essential Vitamins, Great Taste: Our patented formula contains essential Vitamins B9 and B12 to help support cellular energy production, immune function, heart health, healthy nutrient metabolism, a healthy nervous system and overall health and wellbeing. Apple Cider Vinegar has traditionally been used for digestion, gut health and appetite. Our unique flavor profile combined with essential vitamins makes Goli ACV Gummies a delicious addition to your daily health routine.
- Vitamin Angels: Goli is a proud supporter of Vitamin Angels