One of the more popular wintery foods that we see a lot of around Christmas time is cloves. In case you’re not familiar with them, cloves are a type of spice that has a smoky, aromatic scent and a pungent flavour.
They’re used in many savoury and dessert dishes, including cookies, curries, pies, chicken, and even coffee. Around the holiday season, you’ll find them used in many popular dishes including homemade pumpkin pie, mulled wine, and cider recipes.Cloves really are a delicious addition to a sweet or savoury dish, but they go beyond just tasting good. They also boast an impressive list of health benefits that make them even more of an appealing spice to add to your dishes.
Here are the top 11 surprising benefits of cloves that you may not have known about:
1. For toothache
Getting pain in your tooth is never pleasant, especially if your local dentist is fully booked with appointments and you’re having to resort to home remedies for emergency treatment. Luckily, if you store cloves in your kitchen cupboards, you won’t have to look far for a pain-reliever.
Cloves have long been used in home remedies to treat toothache pain. They contain something called eugenol, which provides their flavour, and, more importantly, has also been found to have pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.
In the case of toothache, clove oil would work better than your standard whole or ground cloves. It’s a good thing to store away for emergency use, and you’ll most likely be able to find it in your local drug store.
2. For treating acne
Acne can affect anyone at any age and is usually caused by an imbalance of oils in the skin. Over-the-counter acne products can be costly and end up doing more damage than good to sensitive skin.
It’s especially difficult to treat acne with targeted products as each person’s skin is unique in its properties, which is why some people swear by less-harsh home remedies for natural treatment, like cloves.
Research has found that the antibacterial and antifungal properties of cloves are incredibly beneficial for skin health. Again, it’s clove oil that works best in treating acne because of its content of eugenol, which has anti-bacterial properties that help it to kill infection and fight inflammation, effectively reducing acne.
Use a splash of clove oil as part of your daily cleansing routine and you’ll notice a difference within a week or two.
3. Boosting testosterone levels
There are lots of reasons why low levels of testosterone might have a negative impact on a man’s health and wellbeing. For a start, low testosterone can lead to a lower sperm count, which may be an issue if a man is trying for a baby with his partner.
Low testosterone can also cause insomnia, weakened bones, mood changes, and low energy levels. Testosterone supplements are available, but many men would prefer to get their testosterone naturally from herbal sources, like cloves.
Studies have shown that adding cloves to your diet can enhance testicular function and ultimately boost testosterone levels. Some people swear by cloves for also enhancing fertility, and while more research is needed to ultimately understand the benefits of cloves, what we know so far is promising.
Up your clove intake and you may see a positive change in your testosterone levels.
4. Can ward off headaches
Almost all of us will have to deal with headaches from time to time, whether caused by an external factor, like the sun, or as a result of a virus or food we’ve eaten. In more serious cases, you might suffer from chronic migraines, which cause more intense head pain, nausea, sickness, and dizziness. Having a natural headache remedy on hand to treat the pain is essential if you want to continue your day as normal, and that’s where cloves come in.
Research suggests that the cooling and pain-relieving properties of cloves can work wonders for fighting headaches and treating the pain at its source. Next time you have a headache you want to get rid of fast, crush a few cloves and put them in a clean handkerchief, then inhale the smell for almost immediate relief.
You could also massage clove oil over your temples for another simple treatment method.
5. Stimulates circulation
Poor circulation can lead to a number of health issues in the long run. If your heart can’t pump blood around your body as quickly and efficiently as it should be, you might notice that your hands and feet are always cold and numb, and you’re fatigued. Your skin colour may also change, you may experience digestive problems, and your muscles may cramp more often than usual. In more serious cases, poor circulation can lead to major problems with your brain and heart.
It’s important that you get seen by a doctor for poor circulation, but you can also go some way to treat it yourself at home. One of the simplest ways to improve circulation is by using clove oil.
It’s thought that the oil impacts the body’s metabolism and reduces body temperature, which in turn improves circulation naturally. The antioxidant properties of cloves also help purify the blood, which again makes it easier for it to travel at speed around the body.
6. Improves respiratory health
Respiratory problems like asthma and bronchitis are fairly common and can flare up especially in the colder winter months. Many people with a respiratory issue will follow a special treatment plan issued by their GP, but herbal and home remedies can be used alongside medication to improve respiratory health on a short and long-term basis.
Clove oil is especially effective in bronchitis, asthma, and other non-chronic respiratory issues like cold and cough. The oil soothes the respiratory tract and has an anti-inflammatory effect. You’ll get the most out of the oil by massaging it into your chest, sinuses, and even the bridge of the nose, which will open up the breathing passages and give you relief. You can also add a couple of cloves to a glass of warm water and drink it as tea.
7. Improves digestive health
Your digestion can be affected by all number of issues, including stomach ulcers, which are caused by damage to the lining of the stomach. Left untreated, stomach ulcers can lead to bleeding, nausea, abdominal pain, bloating, weight loss, and anaemia.
It’s important that you seek medical support if you think you have stomach ulcers, but cloves can also be used to treat the issue naturally and prevent it from reoccurring.
Studies have found that certain compounds in cloves can reduce stomach ulcers. It’s also thought that the oil from cloves can increase the thickness of gastric mucus, which protects the stomach lining and prevents peptic ulcers from forming. Adding more cloves to your diet is a great way to naturally ward off ulcers in the long run.
8. Assists in treating diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic disease that occurs when your blood sugar levels are too high. Diabetes is split into two types – type one and type two, and while type one is usually hereditary, type two is often caused by lifestyle factors, such as ageing, a poor diet, and weight gain. Treating diabetes is complex, and we’re only now learning of the benefits of natural spices like cloves for the illness.
Cloves contain a compound called nigericin, which has been found in studies to improve insulin secretion and the overall health of the cells that produce insulin. This means that cloves, when taken as a part of a balanced diet, can keep your blood sugar levels in check. Studies have also found that cloves can prevent spikes in blood sugar when consumed regularly.
- Warm Spice - Our clove essential oil perspires warm spicy scent of aromatic clove buds. With hints of earthy grounding notes, our clove oil essential oil is good as natural toothache pain relief adult and boosting overall health of the body.
- Topical or Diffuse - Apply clove bud oil essential oil on gums to relieve for toothaches for your gums, or blend cloves essential oil with carrier oils for skin use to clear skin irritations. Diffuse clove bud essential oil to cleanse the air that safeguards your health.
- Relieve Toothaches and Pain - Using clove oil for tooth aches helps to relieve dental pain and dry sockets for healthier teeth and gums. With essential oils clove, it provides long lasting tooth ache relief for adults and for kids for you to smile away with confidence.
- Improve Overall Health - Organic clove essential oil boosts the body's defenses to protect you from within. With your fortified defenses, rest assured that you stay fit and healthy safeguarded by clove essential oil organic.
- 100% Pure Clove Essential Oil - Pure Gold only produces the highest quality essential oils. Our Clove is 100% pure and completely undiluted. Botanical name: Syzygium aromatic
- Bottled In Glass Amber Bottle With Dropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in 10ml U/V resistant amber glass bottles. Included is a built-in dropper for simple & easy drop control
- Hundreds Of Uses - Clove oil can be used to make homemade lotions, candles, soaps, body wash, massage oils, roll on bottles, and so much more!
- Sourced & Bottled In The United States - Pure Gold scours the globe in search for the finest plants & farmers. We buy direct from the source and bottle all of our essential oils in the United States.
- Use in a diffuser, oil burner or for massaging, add to home-made cleaning products, add to body wash or shampoo, add fragrance to unscented lotion, add to bath water, etc.
- May help to energize
- 100% pure Clove Oil
- Produces a warm, woody aroma
- HIGH QUALITY CLOVE ESSENTIAL OIL: 100% pure, gentle and effective natural clove oil. Without any toxins, no additives, unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade. Non-GMO. Packaged in the USA.
- OIL OF CLOVES FOR TOOTHACHE AND AMAZING DENTAL CARE: Clove oil for teeth and gums is the most prominent use of essential oil clove is in dental care. The germicidal properties of the clove oil help tooth abscess treatment, relieve dental pain, heal toothaches, sore gums, and mouth ulcers. The characteristic smell of clove oil also helps to eliminate bad breath and prevent cavities.
- SOOTHE TENSION HEADACHES: Apply a cloth soaked in UpNature clove essential oil to your forehead or temples to get the blood vessels open and reduce tension.
- SAFETY PRECAUTION: For external use only. Recommended essential oils clove safety is to dilute with a carrier oil before applying to your skin to minimize adverse reactions. We recommend that you patch test the oils for topical use. Dilute a small amount of the cloves essential oil with a carrier oil of choice to clean skin on the inside of your elbow or wrist. Cover with a bandage and leave for 24 hours. If a rash or redness appears, discontinue use of product.
9. Help fight cancer
Perhaps most impressively of all, cloves have been found to help fight a number of different cancers. Most of us will be affected by cancer at some point in our lives, and at the moment, treatment is unpleasant and often invasive for patients. Scientists are looking into more natural ways to treat various cancers, and one particular plant source that shows promise is cloves.
One recent study showed that clove extract could prevent tumour growth and induce cancer cell death. It’s thought that an ingredient called eugenol in cloves has anti-cancer properties, and has even shown to benefit in the case of oesophageal cancer. Cloves are also good sources of antioxidants, which help fight inflammation and protect us against cancer.
10. Can fight inflammation
Cloves are most well-known for their ability to fight inflammation. Inflammation happens when our body responds to injury or infection, and while it’s essential for healing, too much inflammation can lead to health issues like arthritis and even some cancers.
The eugenol in cloves is thought to work as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. In particular, cloves fight inflammation of the mouth and throat. One study found that people who consumed cloves on a daily basis had reduced levels of a specific cytokine that caused inflammation in just seven days.
Lowering these cytokines reduces the risk of chronic inflammation disorders like arthritis and joint pains.
11. Protect the liver
While we might not see it as an essential organ, our liver plays an incredibly important role in the body, and it’s important that we look after it and keep it as healthy as possible. If your liver is unhealthy, you might notice you have yellowed skin, increased fatigue, swollen ankles and legs, abdominal pain, and nausea. Your doctor will most likely put you on a treatment plan, which includes making healthy changes to your diet – and that’s where you can get experimenting with cloves.
Cloves are a fantastic source of antioxidants, which are essential for protecting the organs from the effects of free radicals, especially in the liver. In the long run, our metabolism increases harmful free radical production, while decreasing the number of antioxidants in the liver. Clove extracts are helpful for counteracting these effects, helping to reduce free radicals and boost antioxidant numbers.
If you’re interested to try cloves out for yourself, you’ll find them in small jars in the spice section of most supermarkets. You will most likely get the option of either whole cloves or ground cloves.
Either is fine, as you can grind your own cloves if you need to, but buying them ground might be the simpler option to start with. You can also buy clove oil, which might be best for you if you’re planning to apply it topically to your skin.
Never cooked with cloves before? That’s not a problem. Cloves aren’t a complex ingredient to add to your dishes – and they usually just require sprinkling in the right amount at the right time, giving everything a stir, and letting the heat do the rest.
If you’re struggling with ideas for how to use cloves, try adding a pinch to your curry dishes, or pairing with cinnamon or nutmeg in your Christmas cookies. If you’re still unsure, a quick Google search can bring up more than enough recipes to spark your inspiration.Cloves are a lesser-known spice that really does deserve more appreciation in the health and wellness world. Stock your cupboard up with cloves today and see how such a tiny ingredient can have such a lasting impact on your long-term health.