If there is one area of flab that’s most difficult to get rid of, it’s the double chin. Of course, instead of being a literal second chin, a double chin is excess fat that accumulates underneath the chin, beneath the lower jawbone. This means that you can actually get rid of it, though it may not be easy to do so.
The double chin is a stubborn area to tackle, but if it’s knocking your self-esteem or getting you down, you can gradually shrink it down with a bit of perseverance.
So, what causes a double chin in the first place?
Often, the main cause of a double chin is weight gain. As a double chin is usually excess fat and skin, being overweight can cause the accumulation of that extra flab. Rapid weight gain or even weight loss can be a cause as well.
Weight isn’t the only factor that can cause your double chin, though. Your age also comes into play, so if you find yourself getting a double chin in your autumn years, your age could be the answer.
When you get older, your skin loses its elasticity, causing the skin around the neck and jaw to sag.
Additionally, your unique genetic makeup could lead to the development of a double chin, no matter how hard you to reverse it. In this case, unfortunately, it’s unlikely that exercise or eating habits will make much of a difference to your double chin.
Although poor posture isn’t so much of a cause, it can worsen your double chin problems. Think of this: if you’re always slouching in a chair or looking down at your phone, your neck is in a constant state of flexion, which can cause wrinkles and weaken the muscles of that area.
As we’ve mentioned, the main cause of a double chin is being overweight. So, it would make sense that poor eating habits, along with an inactive lifestyle, can cause excess fat gain. Fat can accumulate pretty much anywhere in the body, and for some, it accumulates underneath the chin.
Different ways to get rid of a double chin
Luckily, if you’re currently dealing with a double chin, there are more than a few ways to combat it. There’s no need to pay hundreds of pounds on expensive surgery, either, as there’s an abundance of effective natural options to try out.
1. Eat right
Simply making sure to fuel your body with proper nutrition and partaking in an active lifestyle is enough to help get rid of a double chin. The most common reason for a double chin is weight gain, and the best solution to weight gain is making sure to eat right and exercise frequently. Taking in too many calories and overeating will cause you to put on weight, which you’ll notice as a build-up of fat around the body, including your jaw area.
Amending your diet and eating right doesn’t have to mean resisting all of your favourite foods. Just cut down on them and focus on healthier choices.
Try switching out processed foods like refined grains, cereals, crisps, baked goods, and fried foods for more whole foods, like fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, fish, and whole grains. This will help you to decrease your number of total calories while still keeping you full for longer due to the high fibre and protein intake.
2. Eat mindfully
Eating right and eating mindfully are two entirely separate things. Even if you’re eating good foods, if you’re not eating mindfully, you may find yourself eating more than your body actually needs. And if you’re not paying attention to the food you’re putting in your mouth, it’s likely that you won’t even be enjoying it.
Eating mindfully is all about slowing down your eating habits, which will help massively with portion control. To eat mindfully, make sure to eat without distractions, such as your TV or phone, and chew slowly.
Focus on what you’re eating and the way the food tastes. This will help you to tune into your body more effectively and ultimately eat less than you normally would if you scarfed down your food.
Mindful eating applies to snacking, too. If you need to grab something in a hurry, making a mindful decision, such as an apple or granola bar as opposed to chocolates or a bag of crisps, will help to prevent additional weight gain to your chin area.
3. Get out and move
Of course, when it comes to preventing weight gain and ultimately losing weight from your double chin, nutrition is only half the battle. An active lifestyle also plays a crucial role in keeping that extra weight off, so be sure not to leave that out of your fat loss mission. As most people live sedentary lifestyles, it’s no surprise that many of us struggle with weight gain and a double chin issue.
Even if you’re not the biggest fan of exercise, you will usually be able to find something that suits you. For example, if cardio isn’t your thing, try resistance training two to three times a week. You can use weights, your own body weight, or machines to help tone your muscles and promote fat loss at your own pace.
For people who prefer to break a real sweat, cardio exercise, like jogging and exercise classes, may help. Even just going for walks on your lunch break from work, or taking short, 15-minute walks throughout the day will help you to shift that excess weight and get rid of your double chin.
4. Perform specific chin exercises
While exercise, in general, is a great way to reduce your all-over body fat, if you want to focus on your chin area in particular, you’ll need to be more particular with the type of exercises you do. A number of exercises can be done to strengthen and shape the muscles of your neck and jaw area, which should, over time, give the appearance of a well-sculpted jawline. It’s probably best to try these exercises at home, as they can look a bit funny to do!
Some of the most effective chin exercises include:
a. The pucker-up exercises
As silly as it might look, making the famous pouting “duck face” over and over again can genuinely strengthen your jawline. To try it out for yourself, just straighten your posture, tilt your head back, and look at the ceiling. Then pucker your lips as if you’re blowing a kiss to the ceiling, and you should feel a stretch in the area beneath your chin.
Hold this position for 5 to 20 seconds before releasing the hold and returning to your starting position. You can then repeat this exercise between 10 and 15 times every day for a few weeks for the best results.
b. The jut jaw exercise
This type of exercise both stretches and strengthens your lower jaw area, helping to structure the chin area and ultimately shift the unwanted fat. To try this one out, start in the same position as before, with your spine straight.
Then slowly tilt your head back until you’re looking at the ceiling and push your lower jaw forward, as if you were creating an underbite. You’ll feel the stretch under your chin.
Hold this position for approximately 5 to 10 seconds, then relax your jaw and return your head to the starting position. Repeat 2 to 3 times a day in bouts of 5 to 10.
5. Chew some gum
To really get your jaw muscles working without thinking about it, chew some gum! Chewing gum has been shown to strengthen the muscles of the jaw, and you get the added benefit of treating yourself to something tasty.
Remember though, to make sure that you chew sugarless gum to avoid those extra calories and ward off tooth decay. You should also avoid gums that have artificial sweeteners, and go for the ones with natural sweeteners instead.
The best times to chew gum is just before you eat a meal and just after you finish eating. This can also help with digestion, plus curb your cravings for an after-dinner sweet snack, so it’s a win-win situation.
6. Drink plenty of water
Many medical studies have proven that drinking plenty of water can help with weight loss efforts in general. But in particular, experts say that drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day also helps reduce a double chin and bloated face.
Making sure that your body stays well hydrated will help to prevent water retention that can result in a puffy face and chin, as well as preserving the elasticity of your skin and preventing sagging.
Additionally, signs of thirst are often interpreted by the body as hunger signals, which may cause you to overeat unnecessarily. Staying hydrated, therefore, will help you to only reach for a snack when you’re legitimately hungry.
7. Correct your posture
As we mentioned earlier, posture plays a small but significant role in the development of a double chin. Having your head bent over and slightly tilted downwards for extended periods of time is far from ideal if you’re looking to get a sculpted jaw.
A few small adjustments to your posture can help you to ward off a double chin. When you’re sitting and standing, make sure that your spine and neck are in alignment, and try to avoid bending over to look at a screen. Be mindful of your position and correct any slouching or stooping as soon as you realise you’re doing it.
8. Massage your chin
As you age, your skin loses its natural elasticity. Regular face massages, which help improve blood circulation, can help you retain some of that youthful glow. Just grab your usual serum or moisturizer, lean back in a seated position with your head resting on a pillow, and get started.
Starting at the chin, knead and pinch your jawline with upward movements toward your earlobe. Use your index and middle fingers, like you’re cutting with a pair of scissors, pinching and kneading with firm movements. Repeat this in the morning and evening to encourage blood circulation around your chin area, and you should notice a gradual change to the shape of your jawline.
If you were thinking about having surgery on your double chin, save your money! Make sure to try out all of the tips mentioned in this video before you resort to surgical procedures.
Take a look at yourself in the mirror and be honest. Could you do with losing a few pounds? If the answer is yes, simply losing weight may be enough to get rid of your double chin.
The only time you will ever need to consider surgery is if your double chin has genetically been passed onto you – but even then, it’s worth questioning whether it’s really worth it. A double chin is just a double chin, after all!
- 💕 Lifting Bandage: ParaFaciem lifting bandage is an effective and useful method to remove the double chin and saggy skin along the facial contour. It can be used for men and women.
- 💎Chin Slimming Strap: ParaFaciem chin slimmping strap is specially designed to tighten the skin, lift up the skin and reshape a slim and youthful face. It is suitable for all types of skin.
- 💕 Comfortable and breathable: ParaFaciem V line bandage choose breathable fabrics. It is elastic and sturdy, fitting to different features of faces.
- 💎Sticky and Adjustable: ParaFaciem double chin reducer bandage can stick well on the top of your head and provide you with the even force. The sticky part of the bandage is long enough for you to adjust the length.
- Look Gorgeous with V Line Double Chin Reducer: Get your well-deserved admiration of others, with a perfectly shaped face, jawline, chin, and smooth skin by using our double chin strap. The double chin reducer tightens facial skin, reduces wrinkle, and eliminates double chin to give you a younger and attractive look you have always dreamed.
- Reusable Double Chin Reducer: Forget about the traditional one time use V line mask. You can easily wash our facial slimming strap and reuse to get an incomparably youthful appearance! Prolong your youth by reducing double chin, remove wrinkles, and prevent the face from shagging.
- Get the Comfort of Double Chin Reducer: We care for your skin. Therefore, we ergonomically designed our face slimming strap using premium High-stretch Lycra fabric. This chin wrap also comes with high viscosity velcro for an excellent grip and adjustment.
- Get the Comfort and Safety: Our Double Chin Reducer is Hypoallergenic, Soft, Breathable, and BPA free. The reinforced adjustment belt of the face slimming strap makes it easier to adjust. The skin-friendly soft material is mild to the sensitive skin and has no side effects.
- 🔥Reusable&Durable - This v chin slimming strap made of high quality materials, it is durable and can be reused multiple times.This compression chin strap can be washed with warm water, just use a mild detergent, then dry naturally.
- 🔥Upgrade Version Face Lifter Strap - Venus Visage Face Slimming Band is made of premium quality fabric, skin-friendly, which is soft, breathable and good elasticity. Add a soft fabric to the chin to protect the chin from hurt, so you can use the face slimming strap for a long time without discomfort. The face slimming bandage is suitable for men and women.
- 🔥Perfect for Face Slimming - The facial slimming strap tightens the face skin, improve facial wrinkles, improve a double chin, prevent the cheeks sagging. V line band makes a face to smaller and smoother. Shaping the perfect V line chin.
- 🔥Comfort & Safety - Adjustable velcro design, fits for most people. The perfect thin face belt is made of skin-friendly, soft and breathable materials, with good elasticity. Adopt simple physical way to improve your face shape, mild for kinds of skin, will not cause allergic reactions, no side effect.
- 🔥 【PERFECT JAWLINE SHAPE】 Say goodbye to double chins and loose facial muscles. Sotiras Jaw Tone Exerciser promotes face tone firming & chin lift, chisel jawline shaping, and v line slimming by eliminating fat deposits around jaws and neck
- ☀️【POWERFUL ANTI AGING MACHINE】 Neck wrinkles and triple chins are a thing of the past. Our mechanically engineered resistance facial toner is designed to stimulate 55+ face, cheek and neck muscles to achieve shaped, chiseled, and young smile
- 🔥 【CUSTOMIZED EASY SOLUTION】 Got extra sagging skin or wrinkle from recent weight loss? Recovering from giving birth? General loose skin? No problem. We offer 3 excersizer levels beginner to Pro balls to fit both men and women needs
- ☀️【REUSABLE, DURABLE, HEALTHY】 Sick of natural slim products that don’t work? No time to workout? We get it. Sotiras exercisers offer you a hands-free, fat remover bites excersize for the awesome, sharp chins of your dream. No more overnight face lift mask, strips removal, toning rollers massager