Accidents happen, and if your pet or child has left urine stains on a mattress, you need to act fast. It’s perfectly possible to clean a mattress of urine, removing any visible marks or smells left behind, but you need to do so before the stain has a chance to fully set in.There are many household cleaners that you can buy to remove urine from a mattress, but oftentimes, your best cleaning tools will already be in your home’s cupboards. Stay tuned for the best tips for cleaning a mattress of urine using natural products and tried and tested cleaning methods.
Stage 1: Gather your ingredients
Before getting started on cleaning the mattress in question, make sure you have all the tools you need to get the job done. Gather an empty spray bottle, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, liquid soap, and vinegar.
If you’re feeling fancy, you can also add your favourite smelling essential oil to your stash.
Step 2: Create the solution
Make your cleaning solution by combining eight ounces of hydrogen peroxide with three tablespoons of baking soda and half a teaspoon of washing up soap. Add each ingredient carefully to your spray bottle.
This is your chance to add an essential oil to give the solution a nice scent. Shake gently to combine the ingredients.
Step 3: Soak mattress with vinegar
Set your cleaning solution aside for a minute and first soak the entire urine stain with white vinegar, then use a cloth or paper towels to blot the vinegar until it’s dry. If you’re dealing with an accident that’s just happened, you’ll first need to soak up the urine with a towel or two to remove the worst of the dampness.
Step 4: Apply the solution
Once vinegar and urine are suitably removed, you can get to work applying the cleaning solution. Spray over the affected area, then leave to soak for up to ten minutes, twenty minutes for difficult stains. Then use another towel to blot the surface until it’s dry.
Step 5: Reapply when necessary
You won’t always get the stain off the first time, even if you’ve effectively managed to mask the urine smell with the contents of your cleaning bottle. In the case of a stubborn stain, you’ll want to repeat the process and reapply the cleaning solution to the affected area, waiting between ten and twenty minutes again for it to take effect.
In desperate times, never resort to scrubbing at the stain, as this will only spread it across a wider surface.
Step 6: Sprinkle with baking soda
If you’re paranoid about a lingering smell, it’s a good idea to sprinkle the area with a couple of teaspoons of baking soda. Baking soda is known for its ability to absorb smells – some people even keep a bowl of baking soda in the fridge to keep things fresh.
It doesn’t just mask the odour, but removes it, making it a better long-term solution for banishing urine smells. Make sure the baking soda covers the entire stain, including the outer edges.
Step 7: Let it dry
If you can, leave the urine patch exposed to dry for 12 hours. Keep the bed free from blankets of sheets during the drying process to allow air to get to it as easily as possible, and for evaporation to occur.
Step 8: Vacuum the baking soda
The final step is to vacuum up the baking soda from the stained area. You should be left with a dry, fresh-smelling patch of mattress with a reduced or barely visible urine stain.
Now that it’s properly cleaned, the urine smell should be gone by this point in time. If it’s still lingering, add some more baking soda and leave it for another couple of hours.
- Looking for a safer, all-natural, answer to those inevitable stains that happen when you live with kids and pets? Good Life Solutions has formulated a superior product that actually eats away organic stains and the odors that go along with them. This is not harsh chemicals and eye watering fragrance but a fragrance-free, Bio-Enzymatic Solution that actually works. Keep the problem area wet with the spray until the stain is gone. Allow the area to dry naturally and presto, no stain.
- Are you ready for a stain and odor remover that is relentless and reliable? This bio-enzymatic formula removes stains and odors from POOP, PEE, SLOBBER, VOMIT, BLOOD, SWEAT, DROOL, JUICE, FOOD, OR WHATEVER COMBINATION OF GROSS ORGANIC WASTE YOUR FAMILY COMES UP WITH. We are a family owned company and we put it to work on our busy home on a daily basis. There is no organic stain our family hasn't produced and it hasn't failed us yet! See what it can do around your home, boat, RV, office etc.
- Have you been looking for a versatile stain and odor removing product that you will rely on more than any other cleaner in your arsenal? Think: mattresses, carpet, upholstery, fabric, tile, water-safe hard flooring, concrete, pet beds, pet crates, pack and play mattresses, baby crib pads, infant and child car seats, automobiles, RVs, boats, yoga mats, athletic gear, diaper changing tables, diaper caddies, machine washable laundry and so much more.
- Had enough of smearing around chemicals and fragrances that only mask the source of the problem? Unlike other standard chemical cleaners, our formula utilizes a plant-based surfactant that devours the substance that made the stain and takes the smell with it. We developed this plant based product to be tough where it needs to be and gentle on the environment we live in.
- PROFESSIONAL STRENGTH: #1 Best Seller Pet Stain Remover & Odor Eliminator with fast-acting enzyme cleaner and room freshener.
- INSTANTLY PENETRATES: The powerful enzyme cleaner instantly penetrates deep down into the fibers of a carpet, breaking down the urine and removing the stain from the carpet, padding and floor.
- MULTIPURPOSE CLEANER: Urine Gone pet spray is safe for carpet, wood, tile, bathrooms, sofas, mattresses & litter boxes.
- STOPS PETS FROM REMARKING: The enzymes break down the odor in urine instantaneously for a perfect carpet freshener.
- GUARANTEED TO ELIMINATE AND REMOVE URINE ODORS COMPLETELY! We don’t just cover the odors up we remove them completely. ! Our Professional Strength formula is guaranteed to virtually eliminate any odor from urine, feces, vomit, and other organic stains. Discourages pets' attraction to stained areas by removing odors
- ELIMINATES OLD CAT URINE ODORS. Yes that’s right it even works on old odors. cat urine, pet urine, dog urine
- SAFE FOR YOUR CARPET, UPHOLSTERY, MATTRESSES. You will love using it to freshen up pet bedding, litter boxes, travel crates, hamster cages, automobiles, campers, laundry, etc.
- RISK-FREE GUARANTEE! You will be 100% satisfied or we'll give you your money back. SAVE MONEY ON LARGER SIZES.
- SAFEGUARD YOUR FAMILY - Protects from Dirt. No phthalates, vinyl, PVC, so it does not feel like you are sleeping on plastic.
- WATERPROOF PROTECTION - Locks out stains, odors and stains from urine, sweat, pets or spills that happen in the middle of the night.
- SLEEP COMFORTABLY - Cotton terry fabric sleeps cool and does not change the feel of the bed or your bedding. Does not make any noise to wake you up.
- EASY TO USE AND WASH - Deep pockets stretch on like a fitted sheet. Machine wash, no fabric softener or bleach. Tumble dry low.
Cleaning a mattress of urine isn’t the most pleasant of activities, but get it right and you’ll at least feel a sense of satisfaction when the job is done. If you want to avoid the task of cleaning a mattress stain again in the future, it’s worth investing in a waterproof mattress cover.
This is placed beneath the bedsheets, and, as the name suggests, is completely waterproof. It’ll absorb the worst of the urine, and all you’ll need to do is wash the mattress cover and replace it by bedtime.
This method is one of the most commonly used for cleaning urine off a mattress, but that’s not to say there aren’t other methods out there that work equally as well. Enzymatic cleaners are particularly effective at removing stains from mattresses, and are useful for eliminating pet urine stains. When you use this type of cleaner, your pet won’t return to the scene of the crime to take a wee again and again, because it won’t be able to smell urine in the area.
Most people find that a combination of cleaning methods work best, so find what works for you and stick to it. Remember that though the task might be time-consuming, the more thorough you can be, the better the overall outcome.