Snoring, especially for bed sharers, is incredibly annoying. Whether you're overweight, you have respiratory problems or a disorder like sleep apnea, or you're simply unfortunate enough to have been passed down a snoring gene, disturbing the sleep of both yourself and your partner with your nighttime noises is hardly a recipe for good fun.
Luckily, snoring doesn't always require medical attention. First, of course, you need to visit a doctor and rule out sleep apnea if you have any reason to believe you may have it. But even if you're undergoing treatment for the disorder, many of these essential oils for snoring will still prove helpful to you.
Let's jump straight into the list of the best essential oils for stopping snoring and getting the best night's sleep.
We'll start with what's considered the best essential oil of them all: thyme. You might be more used to adding this cooking herb to your stews and hotpots, but in essential oil form, it's well-known for its medicinal benefits.
Thyme essential oil can support the respiratory system and prevent nasal connection. As a bonus, it also promotes immune system and nervous system wellbeing, so you can improve your overall health as well as improving sleep quality and decreasing your snoring. Thyme is up there with the best oils for treating sleep apnea.
To use thyme to treat snoring, mix it with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil or olive oil, and apply it to the bottom of your big toes every night. Mix with a little sage for even better anti-snore effects.
Like many of the best essential oils for snoring on this list, marjoram oil is derived from another common cooking herb. Smelling marjoram essential oil before sleeping should open up your airways, reducing nasal congestion and helping to reduce snoring.
This oil is commonly used in essential oil diffusers for snoring. Simply add it to your diffuser and put it on the 2-hour shut-off setting. As soon as it arrives in your airways, it'll get to work, so there's no need to keep your diffuser on all night.
Using essential oils for their anti-snore effects is hit-and-miss, and oils that work well for you may not be as good for someone else. For that reason, marjoram oil may reduce your snoring in a matter of days - but it could also take up to 6 weeks. An extra bonus of marjoram is that it has sedative properties, and it's often used to treat sleep apnea.
When it comes to herbal decongestants, eucalyptus is up there with the most effective natural remedies. In essential oil form, eucalyptus has anti-inflammatory properties and can help to open up your airways and reduce snoring.
Because of these benefits, eucalyptus isn't only used for preventing snoring and side effects of sleep apnea. Many people find relief from cold and flu with eucalyptus oil, as it can help clear the nasal passages, reducing symptoms.
Inhaling eucalyptus essential oil steam is the best way to benefit from this herb. Just pour steaming hot water in a bowl and add up to 5 drops of eucalyptus oil. Then lean over the bowl and take a deep breath in. Repeat for up to 5 minutes.
If you currently use essential oils around your home, it's likely that you have a stock of lemon essential oil. Many people use lemon oil as a natural air freshener or to add a nice smell to homemade cleaning products, but medicinally, it can also be used to alleviate pain, stimulate the immune system, and help reduce sleep troubles.
Lemon can help you breathe easier at night, eliminating congestion - the most common cause of snoring. Of all the essential oils for snoring on this list, it's one of the most widely available, though you'll need to use it up quickly as its shelf life typically doesn't exceed a year.
To use lemon essential oil for snoring and sleep apnea, mix a couple of drops with a carrier oil and apply it to your chest and feet to improve your breathing. The majority of people get respiratory relief with lemon oil after a few nights of repeated use.
If your snore sounds regularly disrupt your sleep, lavender oil may be a good choice to consider. While lavender won't improve the situation in your nose or throat, it will promote restful sleep. In people whose snoring or sleep apnea affects the quality of their sleep, using lavender to drift off at night may prove effective.
You can spritz a diluted lavender oil blend, mixed with cedar oil for extra benefits, directly onto your pillow before sleep. You can also add a few drops of lavender to your essential oils diffusing machine and switch it on whenever you want to enjoy a good night's sleep.
Don't reserve your peppermint oil for Christmas only - the purifying properties of this oil can make it easier to breathe. Peppermint can also help to relieve tension in the head and neck, which may be an issue for you if you have a restless night's sleep as a result of snoring or sleep apnea.
To benefit from peppermint oil for better breathing and reduced sleep apnea symptoms, find an oil with a roll-on bottle and apply it to your neck before you climb into bed. The oil will open up your sinuses and throat, and may also make breathing easier if you're stuffed up with a cold or the flu.
The final oil on this list is pine oil, which has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce respiratory issues in the nose and throat. As with a number of the essential oils on this list, as well as treating sleep apnea and snoring, pine oil may also help with treating viral colds and flu.
The best way to benefit from pine is to add a few drops to your diffusing machine before bed. The oil released into the air is a good sinus soother, and if you snore a lot, it should help to improve your breathing.
You probably never thought that essential oils had the power to not only provide anti-snore benefits, but also reduce side-effects of sleep apnea. But even if you snore so loudly that your next-door neighbor can hear it, essential oils often work just as well as medicinal remedies for treating the issue and improving your sleep quality.
Just remember, if you think you have sleep apnea and you haven't yet been checked out by a doctor, do that before trying the oils on this list. With sleep apnea often linked to potentially life-threatening illnesses, it's important that you follow your doctor's advice if you plan to try the oils on this list.
- Aromatherapy Oils - Harness the immense potential of nature with therapeutic grade essential oils for humidifiers diffusers showers and home use with our delightful pure essential oils breathe blend
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil - Embrace eucalyptus oil and more aromatherapy essential oils for diffusers to create a welcoming environment that transforms your home into a spa-like resort for the family
- Peppermint Essential Oil - Refresh yourself with the cooling and energizing properties of peppermint oil in our aromatherapy essential oil blends for diffuser made with 100% natural essential oils
- Tea Tree Oil - Tea tree oil offers countless benefits when used with aromatherapy oils for diffuser units thanks to its air cleansing properties part of our best essential oils aromatherapy oil blend
- FORMULATED BY A CERTIFIED Aromatherapist & Scientist with years of experience in using essential oils. Blends are based on the science of essential oils. Blended according to safety guidelines.
- The Power of Nature. WARMING, SOOTHING, CALMING. Support snoring simply & naturally. A natural nighttime snore aid to promote clear sinuses.
- Products that WORK! NATURAL SINUS SUPPORT WHILE YOU SLEEP. UNWIND, RELAX, and SLEEP BETTER. Support health while sleeping. A Spicy, warm blend that is serene, peaceful, and relaxing.
- EASY TO USE ON The GO. They fit in your pocket and are easy to use when needed. Discreet and personal.
- Minty Refresh - Our breathe essential oil blend for diffuser has a cool invigorating scent of peppermint and eucalyptus. With herby hints from bay leaf, tea tree and lemon, our respiratory essential oil is great for sinus relief and congestion relief.
- Diffuse or Inhale - Use organic breathe essential oil diffuser for humidifier to boost your body's defenses and protect your family. Inhale this breath easy essential oil for diffusers for home to relieve congestion and sinuses for better breathing.
- Relieve Sinus and Congestion - The breathe easy essential oil blends with other oils to clear the lungs. Relieve sinus at ease using menthol oil essential oil. With breathe essential oils blends, breathe freely again as it refreshes for better sleep.
- Improve Natural Defenses - This breathe blend essential oil of tea tree and eucalyptus provides a natural health shield to you and your family. With essential oil breathe, the wellbeing of your family is safeguarded using eucalyptus mint essential oil.
- BREATHE EASY ESSENTIAL OIL - A refreshing blend of 7 therapeutic grade 100% pure Essential oils - Eucalyptus, peppermint, Tea tree, Pine needle, Laurel leaf Cardamom, Lemon, without any additives, bases, fillers, synthetic or adulterated materials.
- IMMUNITY BLEND- Can be diffused, or rub on chest, back, or bottom of feet
- NATURAL AROMATHERAPY - Use in a diffuser, vaporizer or humidifier. Enjoy a clean and therapeutic minty fresh aroma!
- BEST SMELLING BREATHE BLEND - Our natural aromatic oils are extracted from the best plant materials.