Snoring, especially for bed sharers, is incredibly annoying. Whether you're overweight, you have respiratory problems or a disorder like sleep apnea, or you're simply unfortunate enough to have been passed down a snoring gene, disturbing the sleep of both yourself and your partner with your nighttime noises is hardly a recipe for good fun.
Luckily, snoring doesn't always require medical attention. First, of course, you need to visit a doctor and rule out sleep apnea if you have any reason to believe you may have it. But even if you're undergoing treatment for the disorder, many of these essential oils for snoring will still prove helpful to you.
Let's jump straight into the list of the best essential oils for stopping snoring and getting the best night's sleep.
We'll start with what's considered the best essential oil of them all: thyme. You might be more used to adding this cooking herb to your stews and hotpots, but in essential oil form, it's well-known for its medicinal benefits.
Thyme essential oil can support the respiratory system and prevent nasal connection. As a bonus, it also promotes immune system and nervous system wellbeing, so you can improve your overall health as well as improving sleep quality and decreasing your snoring. Thyme is up there with the best oils for treating sleep apnea.
To use thyme to treat snoring, mix it with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil or olive oil, and apply it to the bottom of your big toes every night. Mix with a little sage for even better anti-snore effects.
Like many of the best essential oils for snoring on this list, marjoram oil is derived from another common cooking herb. Smelling marjoram essential oil before sleeping should open up your airways, reducing nasal congestion and helping to reduce snoring.
This oil is commonly used in essential oil diffusers for snoring. Simply add it to your diffuser and put it on the 2-hour shut-off setting. As soon as it arrives in your airways, it'll get to work, so there's no need to keep your diffuser on all night.
Using essential oils for their anti-snore effects is hit-and-miss, and oils that work well for you may not be as good for someone else. For that reason, marjoram oil may reduce your snoring in a matter of days - but it could also take up to 6 weeks. An extra bonus of marjoram is that it has sedative properties, and it's often used to treat sleep apnea.
When it comes to herbal decongestants, eucalyptus is up there with the most effective natural remedies. In essential oil form, eucalyptus has anti-inflammatory properties and can help to open up your airways and reduce snoring.
Because of these benefits, eucalyptus isn't only used for preventing snoring and side effects of sleep apnea. Many people find relief from cold and flu with eucalyptus oil, as it can help clear the nasal passages, reducing symptoms.
Inhaling eucalyptus essential oil steam is the best way to benefit from this herb. Just pour steaming hot water in a bowl and add up to 5 drops of eucalyptus oil. Then lean over the bowl and take a deep breath in. Repeat for up to 5 minutes.
If you currently use essential oils around your home, it's likely that you have a stock of lemon essential oil. Many people use lemon oil as a natural air freshener or to add a nice smell to homemade cleaning products, but medicinally, it can also be used to alleviate pain, stimulate the immune system, and help reduce sleep troubles.
Lemon can help you breathe easier at night, eliminating congestion - the most common cause of snoring. Of all the essential oils for snoring on this list, it's one of the most widely available, though you'll need to use it up quickly as its shelf life typically doesn't exceed a year.
To use lemon essential oil for snoring and sleep apnea, mix a couple of drops with a carrier oil and apply it to your chest and feet to improve your breathing. The majority of people get respiratory relief with lemon oil after a few nights of repeated use.
If your snore sounds regularly disrupt your sleep, lavender oil may be a good choice to consider. While lavender won't improve the situation in your nose or throat, it will promote restful sleep. In people whose snoring or sleep apnea affects the quality of their sleep, using lavender to drift off at night may prove effective.
You can spritz a diluted lavender oil blend, mixed with cedar oil for extra benefits, directly onto your pillow before sleep. You can also add a few drops of lavender to your essential oils diffusing machine and switch it on whenever you want to enjoy a good night's sleep.
Don't reserve your peppermint oil for Christmas only - the purifying properties of this oil can make it easier to breathe. Peppermint can also help to relieve tension in the head and neck, which may be an issue for you if you have a restless night's sleep as a result of snoring or sleep apnea.
To benefit from peppermint oil for better breathing and reduced sleep apnea symptoms, find an oil with a roll-on bottle and apply it to your neck before you climb into bed. The oil will open up your sinuses and throat, and may also make breathing easier if you're stuffed up with a cold or the flu.
The final oil on this list is pine oil, which has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce respiratory issues in the nose and throat. As with a number of the essential oils on this list, as well as treating sleep apnea and snoring, pine oil may also help with treating viral colds and flu.
The best way to benefit from pine is to add a few drops to your diffusing machine before bed. The oil released into the air is a good sinus soother, and if you snore a lot, it should help to improve your breathing.
You probably never thought that essential oils had the power to not only provide anti-snore benefits, but also reduce side-effects of sleep apnea. But even if you snore so loudly that your next-door neighbor can hear it, essential oils often work just as well as medicinal remedies for treating the issue and improving your sleep quality.
Just remember, if you think you have sleep apnea and you haven't yet been checked out by a doctor, do that before trying the oils on this list. With sleep apnea often linked to potentially life-threatening illnesses, it's important that you follow your doctor's advice if you plan to try the oils on this list.
- Inhale, exhale. Everything is going to be okay with Breathe Easier. This synergy blend highlights a crisp, fresh aroma that’s a helping hand in clearing congested airways. Who knows, Breathe Easier might even save you a few bucks on tissues.
- Breathe Easier is Edens Garden’s gift to those feeling a little under the weather. Its blend of Lemon, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Rosemary come together to cast out congestion, soothe coughs and put you on the fast-track to feeling better.
- Women-owned and family-operated since 2009, we personally source each essential oil and raw ingredient to ensure affordable prices without compromising quality. Voted the #1 Non-MLM essential oil company, it's our pleasure to be your one-stop shop for all things aromatherapy.
- As the leader in the essential oils industry, we value safety, quality and education in offering only the best aromatherapy products. For this reason, we test every batch of essential oils and provide GC/MS reports to our customers to ensure each oil’s therapeutic value and purity.
- ❌ It is NOT: an uncomfortable nose clip, mouthpiece, mouth/nose strips, weird chin strap or icky spray.
- ✔️ It IS an effective anti snoring solution that provides nasal congestion relief and solid deep sleep.
- ✔️ SIMPLE to use: It's aromatherapy - just breathe it.
- ✔️ 100% NATURAL: No chemicals or artificial fragrances, only essential oils of Marjoram Eucalyptus Lavender and Peppermint.
- Aromatherapy Oils Blend - Harness the immense potential of nature with invigorating pure essential oils for humidifiers diffusers showers and home use with our delightfully clean breathe oil blend
- Starring Eucalyptus Essential Oil - Embrace the refreshing scent of eucalyptus oil and other aromatherapy essential oils for diffusers that transforms your home into a spa-like resort for the family
- Minty Fresh - Refresh yourself with the cooling and energizing aromatherapy properties of pure peppermint oil in our essential oil blends for diffusers and baths made with natural essential oils
- Breathe the Benefits - We use pure ingredients in all of our aromatherapy essential oils blends like spearmint and tea tree oil thanks to their natural cleansing aromatic properties that fill the air
- DON’T LET HAIR LOSS RUIN YOUR CONFIDENCE. Thyme essential oil is a nourishing remedy. Best suited for anyone who would like thick flowing hair.
- RETURN COMFORT TO BODIES. Some may use thyme oil to soothe overworked bodies. Those with active lifestyles may enjoy its soothing nature.
- ALL OUR ESSENTIAL OILS ARE QUALITY-ASSURED FOR YOUR SATISFACTION. If you’re unsatisfied, reach out to us within 365 days for a FULL REFUND.
- A GREAT COMBINATION WITH ROSEMARY OIL. Make yourself a nourishing rinse-off hair mask by mixing 3 drops of thyme oil essential with 2 drops of rosemary oil and 2 tbsps of jojoba oil.